Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Sandy Nelson

Iron Blue
« on: March 17, 2018, 13:39:09 PM »
Finished the box for the season, so have been playing.
I have a soft spot for iron blue imitations and when i was messing around with some of Andrews Scruffy Dubbing in a colour called Highland Peat i thought it would make a perfect Iron Blue.
Its a very hard colour to photograph accurately as it contains so many colours, but hopefully this stimulates some create juices.
Hook: D900 size 16
Thread: Rust brown 8/0
Body : Scruffy Dubbing Highland peat, with some exposed thread at the tail.
Rib: very fine gold wire
Tail: Some cream hackle fibres
Wing: Whatever hair you like to use for your Klinkhammers
Hackle: Herbert Miner Brassy Dun.
Thorax: Scruffy Dubbing Charcoal 

:z18

Sandy
John Geirach 1999 "Millions of trout have died of old age before i could catch them and there's not a damn thing i can do about that"

Eddie Sinclair

Re: Iron Blue
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 13:59:57 PM »
Sandy,

Very nice indeed.

Eddie
As Shakespeare said, it is better to have hooked and lost than never to have hooked at all.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 19:26:56 PM »
Works well as a Plume tip too, for more gentle water.

:z16

Sandy
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 20:13:12 PM by Sandy Nelson »
John Geirach 1999 "Millions of trout have died of old age before i could catch them and there's not a damn thing i can do about that"

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 11:56:46 AM »
Nice work Sandy.
I prefer the plume tip version over the klink. I can see me having to get some scruffy dubbing!
 :z1
Living with deep, full breaths is the way of the trout. Fish, it seems, are the ultimate teachers in breathing.
RC Cone

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 07:40:42 AM »
Superb stuff Sandy, have some of that dubbing and really need to get using it more, think i'll start with this one  :z16

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk all rights reserved

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum