Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Mill of Criggie - Any info?
« on: 15/03/2018 at 10:50 »
Anyone know if Mill of Criggie at St Cyrus is still on the go?

Cheers

Re: Mill of Criggie - Any info?
« Reply #1 on: 15/03/2018 at 12:39 »
I believe it was sold a few years ago and is no longer operated as a fishery.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 15/03/2018 at 13:38 »
I did wonder that...thanks

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 01/04/2018 at 09:45 »
I think its is still fished as a small syndicate, I could be wrong but that was the last I heard....

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 02/04/2018 at 11:04 »
I think its is still fished as a small syndicate, I could be wrong but that was the last I heard....

Interesting...trout syndicate ??

The reason I ask is that I know there were Carp in there and I had heard that a water in that area was being run as a carp syndicate...I was putting two and two together...but I still don't know if I have got 4 yet lol

« Reply #5 on: 05/04/2018 at 13:03 »
I think the  Glen Esk Caravan park has/had a carp pond:
http://www.gleneskcaravanpark.co.uk/page/local-attractions

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 05/04/2018 at 15:19 »
I think the  Glen Esk Caravan park has/had a carp pond:
http://www.gleneskcaravanpark.co.uk/page/local-attractions

I know it only too well...spent many a happy night on there in the 90's..but its been ottered to death and after Mr Ling the owner died, policy  changed and fishing was only available to caravanners. I did fish it a few years back as we had a tent pitched, but only small fish and evidence of more otter kills.

Colin Mckinnon

« Reply #7 on: 05/04/2018 at 21:04 »
Hi Rob

would it be good base for a bit of fly fishing on the Esk ?
Like the look of the site . Be camping . Im planning a bit of  coarse fishing in Holland in the summer , so was looking for some practice for when we go to a music festival there (Day or two either side fishing window ) .So disappointed to hear about only available to caravans.

Cheers
Col

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 06/04/2018 at 06:56 »
So disappointed to hear about only available to caravans.
Might be a case of Rob shorthand.
I don't see anything on the website which suggests the fishing is exclusive to caravanners,  I suspect that the fishing may be exclusive to people staying on the site.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 06/04/2018 at 08:29 »
Might be a case of Rob shorthand.
I don't see anything on the website which suggests the fishing is exclusive to caravanners,  I suspect that the fishing may be exclusive to people staying on the site.

That is what I mean...you need to be onsite...hence I mentioned I had "tented" it.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 06/04/2018 at 08:32 »
Hi Rob

would it be good base for a bit of fly fishing on the Esk ?
Like the look of the site . Be camping .

Yes to the first bit, but the site is not set up for tents. The area for tents is on a slope that is not very tent friendly as it gets a bit soggy under foot. Its also a fair walk from the toilets and shower block.

If you want a bit of coarse fishing practice, I would suggest Aboyne Loch and the associated caravan park/camping pitches would be more productive. You are about 35 minutes over the Cairn O Mountl to reach the North Esk.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #11 on: 09/04/2018 at 09:44 »
Interesting...trout syndicate ??

The reason I ask is that I know there were Carp in there and I had heard that a water in that area was being run as a carp syndicate...I was putting two and two together...but I still don't know if I have got 4 yet lol

I believe it was just a trout syndicate, I guess that wouldn't stop you covering a big grass carp with a dry tho  :X2
They will still be there  :z13

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #12 on: 11/04/2018 at 12:02 »
There's a wee private pond/lochan not far from Portlethen that's got Grass Carp in it. Didn't realise they were in there until I accidentally hooked one with a hares lug on the drop.

What sort of flies would you recommend to specifically target them Rob?

:z18

Steven

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 11/04/2018 at 12:13 »
There's a wee private pond/lochan not far from Portlethen that's got Grass Carp in it. Didn't realise they were in there until I accidentally hooked one with a hares lug on the drop.

What sort of flies would you recommend to specifically target them Rob?

:z18

Steven

I would recommend my flies....and I will show you how to catch them if you PM me where it is lol

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com