Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Rob Brownfield

Mill of Criggie - Any info?
« on: March 15, 2018, 10:50:44 AM »
Anyone know if Mill of Criggie at St Cyrus is still on the go?

Cheers
Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

Re: Mill of Criggie - Any info?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 12:39:43 PM »
I believe it was sold a few years ago and is no longer operated as a fishery.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 13:38:13 PM »
I did wonder that...thanks

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 09:45:04 AM »
I think its is still fished as a small syndicate, I could be wrong but that was the last I heard....

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 11:04:39 AM »
I think its is still fished as a small syndicate, I could be wrong but that was the last I heard....

Interesting...trout syndicate ??

The reason I ask is that I know there were Carp in there and I had heard that a water in that area was being run as a carp syndicate...I was putting two and two together...but I still don't know if I have got 4 yet lol

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 13:03:31 PM »
I think the  Glen Esk Caravan park has/had a carp pond:
http://www.gleneskcaravanpark.co.uk/page/local-attractions

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 15:19:03 PM »
I think the  Glen Esk Caravan park has/had a carp pond:
http://www.gleneskcaravanpark.co.uk/page/local-attractions

I know it only too well...spent many a happy night on there in the 90's..but its been ottered to death and after Mr Ling the owner died, policy  changed and fishing was only available to caravanners. I did fish it a few years back as we had a tent pitched, but only small fish and evidence of more otter kills.

Colin Mckinnon

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 21:04:59 PM »
Hi Rob

would it be good base for a bit of fly fishing on the Esk ?
Like the look of the site . Be camping . Im planning a bit of  coarse fishing in Holland in the summer , so was looking for some practice for when we go to a music festival there (Day or two either side fishing window ) .So disappointed to hear about only available to caravans.

Cheers
Col

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 06:56:04 AM »
So disappointed to hear about only available to caravans.
Might be a case of Rob shorthand.
I don't see anything on the website which suggests the fishing is exclusive to caravanners,  I suspect that the fishing may be exclusive to people staying on the site.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience ;)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 08:29:36 AM »
Might be a case of Rob shorthand.
I don't see anything on the website which suggests the fishing is exclusive to caravanners,  I suspect that the fishing may be exclusive to people staying on the site.

That is what I mean...you need to be onsite...hence I mentioned I had "tented" it.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 08:32:51 AM »
Hi Rob

would it be good base for a bit of fly fishing on the Esk ?
Like the look of the site . Be camping .

Yes to the first bit, but the site is not set up for tents. The area for tents is on a slope that is not very tent friendly as it gets a bit soggy under foot. Its also a fair walk from the toilets and shower block.

If you want a bit of coarse fishing practice, I would suggest Aboyne Loch and the associated caravan park/camping pitches would be more productive. You are about 35 minutes over the Cairn O Mountl to reach the North Esk.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 09:44:20 AM »
Interesting...trout syndicate ??

The reason I ask is that I know there were Carp in there and I had heard that a water in that area was being run as a carp syndicate...I was putting two and two together...but I still don't know if I have got 4 yet lol

I believe it was just a trout syndicate, I guess that wouldn't stop you covering a big grass carp with a dry tho  :X2
They will still be there  :z13

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 12:02:21 PM »
There's a wee private pond/lochan not far from Portlethen that's got Grass Carp in it. Didn't realise they were in there until I accidentally hooked one with a hares lug on the drop.

What sort of flies would you recommend to specifically target them Rob?

:z18

Steven

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 12:13:44 PM »
There's a wee private pond/lochan not far from Portlethen that's got Grass Carp in it. Didn't realise they were in there until I accidentally hooked one with a hares lug on the drop.

What sort of flies would you recommend to specifically target them Rob?

:z18

Steven

I would recommend my flies....and I will show you how to catch them if you PM me where it is lol

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum

All content on this website is copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk