Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Gethin Jones

Info on some Orvis rods
« on: 11/03/2018 at 07:53 »
I’ve been offered first refusal on a range of fishing tackle in a bereavement sale, amongst the lot is a Helios 2 10ft 6wt but I have no experience of Helios rods being a Sage and Scott fan, could anyone give me a brief comparison to say a Sage Xp, Z-axis or Scott Radian in the same lengths and line weight?
There is also a Helios ZG 9ft 9wt in the hoard, but unless it has a much nicer action than my Xi2 I’m not that interested to be honest.

Hamish Young

Re: Info on some Orvis rods
« Reply #1 on: 11/03/2018 at 08:54 »
Start with 9' #9wt Helios - I could be interested in that.... I don't need it of course  :X1

The H2 I have never fished with, but I have cast back to back against a Sage One - albeit both were 9' #5wts which is neither my favourite rod length or line weight. I digress.

Now if it's reasonable to say the 'One' was a replacement for the Z-Axis and by and large was an evolution of what had gone before then I think it's fair to say that the H2 is a step ahead of the One and a good afternoons walk ahead of the 'Z'. But it depends what you look for in a rod..... for me the H2 felt better in the hand, nicely balanced and with good recovery but maybe softer in the tip than the original Helios.

Don't know if that's any help at all to you Gethin  :z8

Gethin Jones

« Reply #2 on: 11/03/2018 at 09:40 »
Thanks for your reply Hamish,
From a personal point of view the Sage one was far from an advancement compared to the Z, for me it was way too stiff and lifeless and the reason I moved to Scott, if the Helios 2  has a similar action and feel to my 10ft Z then it may be worth consideration as part of the lot I’m interested in.
I may just take a day off work this week and drive the 170 odd miles to take a closer look of what’s on offer.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 12/03/2018 at 07:53 »
For me, the Helios 9wt is a far nicer rod to fish with than a Sage Xi2. I find it had far more "feel" when chucking the big stuff. I also found it the perfect Pollock rod for chucking heavy clousers on Hi D lines.

I always found the Xi's too stiff and unforgiving. A real "wait for a fish and cast a line" rather than an all day casting rod. Hard work.

Gethin Jones

« Reply #4 on: 12/03/2018 at 18:56 »
For me, the Helios 9wt is a far nicer rod to fish with than a Sage Xi2. I find it had far more "feel" when chucking the big stuff. I also found it the perfect Pollock rod for chucking heavy clousers on Hi D lines.

I always found the Xi's too stiff and unforgiving. A real "wait for a fish and cast a line" rather than an all day casting rod. Hard work.
I’ll definitely keep that in mind Rob, I use 8 weights more than I do a 9 as I’m mainly chasing Bass in the salt and  tend to only use my Xi2  9wt for Pollock with HD lines. The Xi 2 8 & 9wts are very different tools and I find the 9wt performs better either over lined or with a 9wt sniper.
A rod with enough grunt for pollock & HD lines and more feel than my Xi 8 wt is a very tempting prospect....even though I’d planned on getting myself a Meridian 8wt for this season  :X1

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 12/03/2018 at 19:22 »
You wants it.... you needs it...... the Helios is the precious.....   :z4 :z4 :z4

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 12/03/2018 at 22:22 »
You wants it.... you needs it...... the Helios is the precious.....   :z4 :z4 :z4

More so than these graphene things?

I think it will be very difficult to prise the 9" 4# hot torpedo out of my hands when I can finally justify it. Not cheap but oh so nice  :z16

:z18

Steven.

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 12/03/2018 at 22:49 »
More so than these graphene things?
Difference between second-hand and new chum, on the whole you'd be daft to pass up the opportunity of an original Helios when they come up for sale as they are still one of the best rods out there.
I hope to get my hands on the heavier weight graphene Mackenzie rods as soon as the prototypes have been delivered, but truly the ones I have test thus far are just fab  :z16 Simply put, used buy a Helios. New... well.... guess  :wink
I think it will be very difficult to prise the 9" 4# hot torpedo out of my hands when I can finally justify it. Not cheap but oh so nice 
I remember the prototypes well, not cast a production one that I can recall.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 13/03/2018 at 08:23 »
lined or with a 9wt sniper.

Its Snipers I use on my Helios, as well as Rio Outbound shorts and I think there is a Di9 40+ cols saltwater somewhere in the she d too.

I preferred the H1 over the H2 but after casting the 8 weight H3...I really really want one!! Stunningly easy to cast a whole line and some backing. I would say way too powerful for Stillwater trout but awesome in the salt.

The 5 weight was also stunning although  I would love to try the 4 weight F model over the D I was casting.

James Laraway

« Reply #9 on: 13/03/2018 at 17:28 »
Dare i ask what a hot torpedo is ?

Hamish Young

« Reply #10 on: 13/03/2018 at 19:26 »
Paul Ardens' sense of humour.... look up http://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/webshop/list/70/fly-rods

Vedran Oreskovic

« Reply #11 on: 09/06/2018 at 01:46 »
Hi, I have two identical Orvis Helios 2 9ft 5wt. I didn't bought them both :D I received one for free from Orvis Customer service.
I can't say how much I love this rod, it is just perfect performing rod, excellent accuracy and feeling at close and long distances, presentation also superb. I'm not Orvis dealer to talk only great things, it is as it is. Only better than H2 (maybe) is H3 :D
Also H2 is the one of lightest rod ever built and have lightest swing weight, I used to fish 10-12 hours without any pain in my arm.

On Trident 5wt shootout it was declared as best of the best and took 1st place among 20 tested 5wt rods.
https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/blog/2014-five-5-weight-shootout-orvis-hardy-scott-sage-best-fly-rod-review-test/

Quote:'' The Helios is Orvis’ lightest rod ever, but it’s also stronger and more accurate than any other rod they’ve made in the past.

I use all kind of flies without any problem, from dries size 20 to heavy nymphs size 8 weighted with tung 4.5mm (just need to be carefull if this bomb hits you in the back of the head, friends told me that it really hurts )  :z4

Vedran Oreskovic

« Reply #12 on: 09/06/2018 at 01:49 »
If any interested to have this great stick please send me PM

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com