Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Grooved fly line?
« on: 06/03/2018 at 11:01 »
I don't use sinking lines very often but needed a #6 for early season , so when browsing cheap lines at the BFFI show a couple of weeks ago I bought one for a fiver  :z6  Worth a punt even if it ends up on the bean poles.  When preparing it to put on the reel I noticed that the line was very grooved.  My immediate thought was that it was caused by a worn extrusion die. On closer inspection the grooves looked 'engineered'.  I googled up grooved fly lines and discovered that ARC use a grooved design claiming less friction when casting?  Without experiencing the grooved design I can imagine some problems occurring.  I can imagine the grooves collecting dirt and wearing out rod rings. Also, due to the larger surface area a sinker would be slower than the density suggests. I'm only guessing of course  :z8  Any comments?

Jeff Donovan

Re: Grooved fly line?
« Reply #1 on: 06/03/2018 at 11:25 »
Airflo produce a clear ridge intermediate fly line, see the link & watch the accompanying video in the ad.

https://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fly-lines/airflo-ridge-clear-floating-and-intermediate-fly-lines/40/yes/50000

Rob Brownfield

Re: Grooved fly line?
« Reply #2 on: 06/03/2018 at 11:40 »
I have "grooved" running line on several Pike fly lines (Airflo Snipers). and the issue I get is cut fingers when stripping big flies back.

I also have "textured" lines such as the Orvis Bankshot that make a hell of a noise when casting and "grip" the water making a clean shot difficult when wading (I know, its a Bank shot, so should be use on the bank lol).

I prefer a smooth line myself.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com