Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

spiros

Perch on the fly?
« on: 17/10/2006 at 20:08 »
Was wondering what types of fly to use to catch Perch does anyone have good tips?

Paul

:grin:

Hamish Young

Perch
« Reply #1 on: 17/10/2006 at 22:11 »
They'll take pretty much everything in my experience, but anything reddish usually works well IMHO  :wink:

Dutchfly

Perch on the fly?
« Reply #2 on: 18/10/2006 at 08:18 »
A Mickey Finn usually did the trick for me.

CU

Jeroen

Kev Danby

Golden Oldies
« Reply #3 on: 18/10/2006 at 08:39 »
I used to catch a good few perch on the River Dove using appetisers, Jack Frost and white lead head lures.

A gold head fritz with long marabou tail would probably be effective or perhaps a cats whisker variation. As Hamish says perch seem to like a bit of red in the fly.

Mike Barrio

Perch on the fly?
« Reply #4 on: 18/10/2006 at 23:09 »
A PTN with an orange thorax used to catch more than my fair share of Pitfour Perch  :wink:

Did alright with the rainbows too  :z4

Best wishes
Mike

Mike Livingstone

Perch
« Reply #5 on: 18/10/2006 at 23:57 »
I've been catching the yellow perch over here in Maine using a red buzzer or a cats whisker.   The pickerel seem to love cat's whiskers too!!

Rob Brownfield

Perch on the fly?
« Reply #6 on: 23/10/2006 at 08:08 »
Years ago at Loriston I used to catch heaps on size 12 or 10 Red Tags, Soldier Palmers etc..but these days I fish large flies upto 5-6 inches long, normally something like a Bunny Bug. Naturally I am trying to get BIG perch on flies like this  :grin:  Black seems to be a good colour for some reason at this size.

When lure fishing for Perch I am using plugs of a similar size.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com