Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Re: Thoughts on the Lamson Liquid
« Reply #15 on: 20/02/2018 at 10:32 »
Anyway, briefly, Reddington is a click drag unfortunately. I hate them!  :(
Snob  :z7

Galvan is on the list for Cass to try and find in the US at the moment.
Cool  :cool:

I looked at the SA Ampere series of reels on the GAC website, but when I went to the SA website, they do not list any reels. Suggests they have stopped making them meaning spools etc are going to be hard to find.
Aye, SA were bought out by Orvis remember :? Think they cleared out the stock PDQ at a discount.

I have heard the Hydros SL smooth's off with use...maybe.....just maybe
I've found most drags do ease up with some enthusiastic use  :cool:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 20/02/2018 at 12:41 »
I didn't know about the buyout...you live and learn. lol

Dave Felce

« Reply #17 on: 23/02/2018 at 21:42 »
you're not going to like this, but my Tibor Everglades is incredibly smooth, can be set very light & doesn't over-run...

i'm slightly disappointed with the Danielsson i have.  the drag can't be set light, the settings aren't very well demarcated and there's a slight, but noticeable, inertia on start-up. enough to make you worry about lighter tippets on the take. it's a quality piece of machining tho'. the handle is very small and the drag knob isn't the easiest to adjust.

i have a Lamson Guru which doesn't look quite as refined as those two, but is actually really smooth. i believe the drag system is exactly the same for their cast models too?  if that's the case it's a quality drag for not big bucks

my surprise find was a bargain Guideline Quadra (now discontinued) . incredibly smooth and very low start-up inertia. it's a cracking reel!

Roger Hoad

« Reply #18 on: 27/02/2018 at 11:42 »
I was considering the Remix which is the next one up. Machined cage but still the same cast spools.

They were high on my list, but two things have put me off. The weight, which is not excessive, but is heavier than many, but more importantly, the diameter of the arbour itself. I am using French Leaders of 9m and I want a reel wit a very large diameter so the leaders do not retain too much memory, and to get line back on the spool quickly if need be.

I persuaded my boss to get the LA56 and its a lovely reel, but not for what I am after unfortunately.

The problem I am having is that every manufacturer seems to think we all need saltwater proof reels, with 10 KG drags capable of stopping a Tarpon, on a 2 weight sized reel! Every reel I have picked up seems to have a drag that cannot be set lightly.

My original choice was to be a Hydros SL, but on looking at them, the drag just does not loosen off enough for my liking. Needs a fair tug to get going too.

How about one of the Danielsson Original series? Seems to cover everything that you are looking for plus a lovely looking reel that commands a very good price second hand should you ever want to sell it.

Terry Coging

« Reply #19 on: 27/02/2018 at 14:05 »
I chose the Lamson because of the smooth drag and low inertia.  The shallow lake I boat fish in France is stocked with big Rainbows. When one of those hits the fly they take off like rockets, not being able to go deep. I lost countless fish due to poor drags on my inexpensive reels (I was brought up to regard a reel as something that simply holds the line).  I had no such problems since using the Lamson.
Just as an aside... One nice hot day when boat fishing wearing shorts and with bare feet, a very large hooked fish  bolted and  nearly cut my right big toe off  :shock The coiled line on the bottom of the boat got caught between by toes as it zipped out.  Blood over the bottom of the boat and on about 10 yards of line.  Took a fortnight to heal. Lost the fish too  :mad Had countless double figure fish off that lake, best 16lb.        Tip....... do not use toes to play fish  :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #20 on: 27/02/2018 at 17:53 »
Ouch  :shock

Euan Innes

« Reply #21 on: 27/02/2018 at 20:48 »
I was going to stay away from this thread and just see what folks thought of the range of reels on the market.
However, I have an eye on a new salmon rod this summer and that will obviously require a new reel. :X2
I currently use Vision Tanks and I have found the start up and the drag to be flawless so may I recommend some of the Vision range? I have found the Tank to be what the Hardy Perfect with a drag should be like. :z12
And yes, a Hardy Perfect is on my maybe list for the new rod. If some of the trout fishers on here would stop posting photos of big Browns with a Perfect strategically placed in the background this hankering might go away...

Euan

Dave Felce

« Reply #22 on: 01/03/2018 at 08:38 »
hmm, i've got a Vision Big Daddy which is essentially a Rulla with fancy graphics. the tolerances on it are nowhere near the quality of the lamson , guideline & danielsson.  quite clunky in fact.

i notice Uttings are selling off the Rulla for £100 if you fancy a punt, tho'....

i'm with Terry on good quality (ie consistent & smooth; doesn't have to be mega-powerful) drags with minimal start-up inertia and zero over-run on a light setting.  carp in skinny water are a good test.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #23 on: 01/03/2018 at 09:38 »
One of these Rob?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxcatch-CNC-machined-Aluminum-fishing-Sliver/dp/B01MQSWZR6?th=1&psc=1

If so, that is very cheap.  Can’t really go wrong at that price.

My curiosity has gotten the better of me. Will let you know what my thoughts are when it arrives.

:z18

Steven

Roger Hoad

« Reply #24 on: 01/03/2018 at 10:47 »
On the subject of Danielsson reels, there has been some discussion of late regarding their ongoing availability as several models have been out of stock for a while.
I e mailed Tomas Daniellson and was assured that they would be available by the end of February. Lo and behold I checked their website this morning and the man was true to his word they are indeed all available once more.
Futhermore I think they are a bit cheaper than they were ,maybe due to the weak Euro?
The Original Series Midge,Nymph and Dry Fly are £139.00 and the F3W2/6 and 4/7 £166.72.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #25 on: 02/03/2018 at 09:55 »
There is another one in the mix now...The Guideline Favo...its drawing me in!

Euan Innes

« Reply #26 on: 02/03/2018 at 17:00 »
Nice!
I like Guideline gear  :z16
The Haze V2 and the Vosso are stunning and at some point I must find a reason to own a Fario. If I didn't have a Barrio Vosseler then I would probably have a Fario!
Had the small Vision Tank out the other night to fit a head before my season opens next week and I think that I will have to have the medium one to complete the collection :z4 :z4 :z4
 :z1

Dave Felce

« Reply #27 on: 02/03/2018 at 17:38 »
Nice!
I like Guideline gear  :z16

me too. i've got one of their primaloft jackets, as well as the ree,l and the quality is right up there with some of the top outdoor brands i've dealt with.  their coastal fly line is a fantastic taper for carp, too. unfortunately they've dropped the full-floater version.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #28 on: 05/03/2018 at 07:52 »
I have a couple of Guideline Salmon rods which I love, and a Haze reel which unfortunately went missing in a move.

The Fario is the one I want, but...well..its a bit out my price range....although then again....

Ian Bell

« Reply #29 on: 06/03/2018 at 08:16 »
I also like the Favo but the capacity is poor! (I want a #8 size reel.)
Another one that I was considering was a Loop Multi. so this time weight may be a concern!
(and no I don’t want a Danielsson)
At a reasonable price here...
https://www.adh-fishing.com/fly-reels/reels/loop-multi-fly-reel

In your case, add in the price of spare spools .... maybe your first choice was best... stick to Lamson  :oops

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com