Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Thoughts on the Lamson Liquid
« on: 16/02/2018 at 10:54 »
Morning gents, any thoughts on the Lamson Liquid reels?

My Battenkill LA reels are starting to get a little old now and I am after something that wont break the bank but will be smooth and last. (The drags on the Battenkills take a bit of a pull to get them working)

Specifically I am looking at the 1.5 for my 2 and 4 weight nymphing outfits and the 2 for my 4-5 weight trout rods.

I was looking at the Hydros SL, but as I want 2-4 spare spools for the larger reel, it works out extremely expensive!

Cheers in advance.

Ian Bell

Re: Thoughts on the Lamson Liquid
« Reply #1 on: 16/02/2018 at 13:20 »
I use Lamson Velocity reels in different sizes for my sea trout fishing. They’re getting old but still reliable!

When I needed a new salmon reel I went for a size4 Lamson Liquid. I didn’t need extra spools so just bought the reel and not the kit.
When I first loaded it I was a bit concerned with the capacity, transferring a line and backing from a Loop reel, I had to use less backing there was no way it fitted.
In use it I’m very happy with my choice... reasonable price but still quality!

In your situation, needing extra spools I would say it will be ideal, with quick easy change spools, excellent drag, price and I think your choice of sizes would save you having my slight problem!
   Yes I recommend one! :z4

:X1 or two!

Filip Adamcio

« Reply #2 on: 16/02/2018 at 14:45 »
Hi,
I' ve got two 2.0 lamson liquid.
Very good drag and nice change spools system.
I recommend this reel.
Regards Filip

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 16/02/2018 at 15:17 »
I have a Guru 4 as one of my salmon reels, I also have a Danielsson.

How would I compare a lamson to a danielsson ?

Depends on your taste.

Danielsson is like a scandanavia beauty - classic looks, natural and stunning. You would want a long term relationship with it.

Lamson is more like an american ' exotic dancer' you would meet in a cheap gentlemans club.....a bit skinny and light weight, expensive but not great quality wise :X2

Terry Coging

« Reply #4 on: 16/02/2018 at 17:37 »
I have used  Lamson Liquid 2 and 3.5 for two seasons. In each case I purchased the three pack which was good value.  From an engineers point of view (toolmaking background) they are beautifully crafted. They are light and have a smooth drag.  Just two negative points 1. the black anodised coating is not that durable. 2. the spool change can sometimes be a bit difficult, needing a very strong pull to part spool from body.  I would buy another though, in fact I may get a Remix 3.5 which has interchangeable spools with the Liquid.

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 16/02/2018 at 17:42 »
I am a tackle tart.... and I have to say that I dislike the newer Lamson reels, despite having been a very big fan of their products for years  :z10

Although I can't share James experience of exotic dancers  :shock ....  nice metaphor by the way :z4 ....... I can say that having handled the Lamson Liquid I don't rate it alongside similar products, it felt 'soft' and not the 'solid' product I associate with that brand.

You could always consider one of these Rob https://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-fly-reels.html speak nicely to Mike about a bulk buy  :wink

H :z16

Dave Robb

« Reply #6 on: 16/02/2018 at 18:37 »
Might not be the best of quality or what you are looking for, but I see a Greys have a new reel out this year

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/fly-reels/greys-qrs-cassette-fly-reel~41734.html

The smallest covers # 2/3 and #4/5 as  it comes with two sizes of spools (comes with 4 spools in total).

£99.

James Laraway

« Reply #7 on: 16/02/2018 at 22:09 »
I forgot to insert the word ' allegedly ' into my previous posting ....

James Laraway

« Reply #8 on: 16/02/2018 at 22:11 »
If you want a nice reel at a good price try fishskb...some funky colours toi...

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 17/02/2018 at 08:03 »
I forgot to insert the word ' allegedly ' into my previous posting ....
  :wink Naturally  :X2

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 19/02/2018 at 09:12 »
I can say that having handled the Lamson Liquid I don't rate it alongside similar products, it felt 'soft' and not the 'solid' product I associate with that brand.

I was considering the Remix which is the next one up. Machined cage but still the same cast spools.

You could always consider one of these Rob https://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-fly-reels.html speak nicely to Mike about a bulk buy  :wink

They were high on my list, but two things have put me off. The weight, which is not excessive, but is heavier than many, but more importantly, the diameter of the arbour itself. I am using French Leaders of 9m and I want a reel wit a very large diameter so the leaders do not retain too much memory, and to get line back on the spool quickly if need be.

I persuaded my boss to get the LA56 and its a lovely reel, but not for what I am after unfortunately.

The problem I am having is that every manufacturer seems to think we all need saltwater proof reels, with 10 KG drags capable of stopping a Tarpon, on a 2 weight sized reel! Every reel I have picked up seems to have a drag that cannot be set lightly.

My original choice was to be a Hydros SL, but on looking at them, the drag just does not loosen off enough for my liking. Needs a fair tug to get going too.

Terry Coging

« Reply #11 on: 19/02/2018 at 12:00 »
I was considering the Remix which is the next one up. Machined cage but still the same cast spools.

That is why my next purchase will be a Remix. The machined cage should be stronger than the cast Liquid. The spool should not affect rigidity.
They certainly are light. Not that important for some but my casting style benefits from a light reel. I cannot use wrist action too well (age and arthritis) so the reel moves around a lot with a 'shoulder and arm' casting action.
Drag adjustment is fine and smooth - no problems with bolting fish, due to low inertia. 

Hamish Young

« Reply #12 on: 19/02/2018 at 19:45 »
...... I want a reel with a very large diameter
..... Every reel I have picked up seems to have a drag that cannot be set lightly.
Ahhh so the penny drops regarding exactly what it is you're after.

Strikes me you want to be looking at something like Redington Zero which has a large arbour and a light drag.
Nice simple reel, not many frills.
TFO do a super large arbour reel that looks eerily like a well known Orvis product we both own... but for me the 'star' of that sort of reel (light weight, super large arbour and simple effective drag) has to be the Brookie from Galvan Reels http://galvanflyreels.com/product/brookie/ I've actually seen one in the hands of a chap I had out fishing last year.
Gorgeous wee reels and - surprisingly for Galvan - not 'overly' expensive.... well all things are relative  :wink

H

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 20/02/2018 at 08:29 »
I had a big reply written, and the PC crashed...grrr.

Anyway, briefly, Reddington is a click drag unfortunately. I hate them!  :(

Galvan is on the list for Cass to try and find in the US at the moment.

The TFO BVK is a bit out my price range for something that's probably not going to be used too much.

If I could find a Scientific Anglers System 2 LA I would be happy!! I have a 456 and its perfect!! Like rocking horse poo though.

I looked at the SA Ampere series of reels on the GAC website, but when I went to the SA website, they do not list any reels. Suggests they have stopped making them meaning spools etc are going to be hard to find.

I have heard the Hydros SL smooth's off with use...maybe.....just maybe

And then there is the Lamson Guru 2....

Or I go made and get a Maxcatch from China as they seem to be getting superb reviews and are very cheap, especially for a CNC'd 6061 reel with anodising and a lifetime warranty.

Dave Robb

« Reply #14 on: 20/02/2018 at 10:08 »
One of these Rob?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxcatch-CNC-machined-Aluminum-fishing-Sliver/dp/B01MQSWZR6?th=1&psc=1

If so, that is very cheap.  Can’t really go wrong at that price.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com