Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Re: 10' #5 something special?
« Reply #30 on: 17/02/2018 at 23:34 »
WTF?? Did you sell your son to Madonna???
And is your good lady aware of this fact or should I shut my hole right now?

Euan

Funny.  No, not to Madonna but the local chimney sweep is very appreciative of Finlays skills  :X2
Rachel is aware but is mostly going 'lalalalalalalalalala' and pretending that she didn't marry a complete tackle tart.

:z7

Euan Innes

« Reply #31 on: 18/02/2018 at 16:30 »
Good to see Victorian dad is still alive and well!  :z7
In my humble opinion, Rachel has always taken you for a tart, tackle or otherwise.   :z7 :z7 :z7
I now know what rod I want when I get back from my "we trip" and I will give you a bell on the way home tomorrow.

Euan

Terry Coging

« Reply #32 on: 19/02/2018 at 12:06 »
Hamish - how do you think the FX1 #6 would handle a 5 weight ?  Is it a truly light rod?

Hamish Young

« Reply #33 on: 19/02/2018 at 19:24 »
It coped fine with a 5 SLX in my hands, but in fairness I think most would prefer a #6 on it  :z16

Terry Coging

« Reply #34 on: 13/03/2018 at 21:47 »
Received a Mackenzie 10' #6 FX1 today and tried it out on the village green.  Used a range of lines = Barrio's GT90 #5, Mallard #5 and #6 and an SLX #6. Also a #6 sinker of questionable provenance.  A bit windy so tested in different directions.  The rod was not what I expected but I didn't really know what to expect.  A difficult rod to categorise, being an easy through action  but at the same time very responsive. Always felt in control on all of the lines tried out.  I was particularly pleased that it was nice with the 5 weights and at the same time could boss a 6 weight sinker that I have had to use a 7 weight rod with on Saturday.  The SLX #6 was brilliant at mid distance and directional change. Having not experienced an SLX before this may have been the line performance as much as the rod.  The rod will be used on the Reservoir on Thursday so will have a more realistic view after that.  Fist impressions? Yes, it could be something special. ps I used my boat partners Sage One for a while on Saturday. Light and fast but relatively dead compared with the FX1. Just my amateur opinions of course. 

Mike Barrio

« Reply #35 on: 13/03/2018 at 21:54 »
Sounds like you're having plenty of fun trying everything out :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Terry Coging

« Reply #36 on: 28/03/2018 at 20:53 »
Used the FX1 #6 today on the wind swept reservoir. First time I have used it properly. The reservoir was very cold and fish almost impossible to find; not in the usual spots for early season, so spent all day going to different places.  LH wind, RH wind, into the wind (and hail), so the rod was tested in the hardest and varied conditions.  Bit of an enigma this rod.  Easy and gentle, but with steel! It is it's versatility that makes this rod something special.  Can't wait to try it from the boat.  Has the potential to be the ultimate Loch rod   :z16.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #37 on: 28/03/2018 at 22:48 »
just finished my 10ft 5wt on some Hilevel Blackmaster blanks, it is very different from my TFO 5wt, I have used the TFO for everything over the last 3 years, boat and bank, with no issues, I will have to get used to the 10ft rod now, but when I originally bought it I thought it was a 9FT :X1, Derek Roxborough

Vedran Oreskovic

« Reply #38 on: 09/06/2018 at 01:51 »
Orvis Recon, great rod and not too expensive..

Terry Coging

« Reply #39 on: 15/10/2018 at 15:39 »
Mackenzie 6 weight 10' FX1.  After a hard season, was it something special?  Yes.
This is a very easy rod to use.  With my modest skills and ageing limbs it will do just about anything with line weights 5, 6 and 7.
Dries or nymphs on a 5 weight or streamers on a 7 weight ( did just that on Llyn Brenig yesterday). Copes with a 7 weight easily - it just bends a bit more without overloading. This could be said for many rods but with the FX1 there is not a feeling of having to make compromises with the various lines and methods. Fish playing quality is excellent.  For the first time in my life I just don't need another general purpose rod.
Negatives? A bit pricey.  No keeper ring.  Just a personal negative - I don't like aluminium rod tubes. They rattle about too much and I fumble with the screw cap.  So my almost £700 rod is now housed in a £50 Shakey condura case = sacrilege  :X2

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com