Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: 10' #5 something special?
« Reply #15 on: 15/02/2018 at 12:48 »
I have a dozen or so fly rods, why do I need another?  :z8

Only a dozen? Oh dear.  :wink

When I moved 2 years ago the count of all rods was 98. I am currently building another three. A 9 foot 5 weight, a 10 foot 2 weight and a 8 foot glass 4 weight :)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #16 on: 15/02/2018 at 12:58 »
Now that is simply greedy Rob :lol

Gethin Jones

« Reply #17 on: 15/02/2018 at 13:01 »
Another vote for the Radian,
I have both 9ft & 10ft in a 5wt and whilst the 9ft is marginally my favourite, I would say the 10ft  is the best all rounder.
I use it mainly for nymphs & dries from a boat and for bugging , it’s a very versatile tool indeed and my father (a die hard Hardy lover) traded his zenith 10ft 5wt for one last season.

Hamish Young

« Reply #18 on: 15/02/2018 at 19:22 »
Looking forward to hearing how Hamish gets on with the Mackenzie graphene.

Well I nipped in past Scott today (before he heads off to Ireland to a show) and I have a  FX1 Graphene 10' #6 and a 10' #7 to play with for a while.
The waggle test (which is just soooo important  :wink ) was actually very interesting, can't wait to get 'em strung up for a cast.
If the snow and ice fecks off, maybe tomorrow  :z16

H

Hamish Young

« Reply #19 on: 16/02/2018 at 17:44 »
More playing tomorrow, but I can say this about the 10' #7.... wow  :z16
Haven't cast the #6 yet  :roll

Hamish Young

« Reply #20 on: 17/02/2018 at 13:21 »
OK.... so I had a proper play with both the 10' #6 and the 10' #7 FX1 rods today.

I would characterise the 10'#6  as mid flex in nature, doesn't feel stiff when casting but in line with FX1 Salmon rods the blank recovery is deeply impressive. Now I could wax lyrical about how good it was in my hands (matched to an SLX)  and all those who tried it at the Beauly AC opening today... but I'll stop short of that and simply say I will be having one  :z16
I can't fault it.
I don't think it will be too much for three-to-the-pound brownies just like I don't think it will be under-gunned against anything else in UK waters. I think it is the 10' rod I've been looking for in the 5-7 weight class. I tried a couple of other line weights on it and the results were interesting, more on that another time.

The #7wt is astonishing, very different in nature and a fast powerful rod. I really like it..... I want it too .....
Matched to a GT125 I was comfortably (and I do mean comfortably) chucking 35 yards +

Both rods have the same FX1 high grade fittings and a finish which make the rods subtly old school and modern at the same time - job well done  :z16

I don't think... actually I know.... I've ever cast better 10' rods.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #21 on: 17/02/2018 at 15:26 »
Terry,

Since other have been throwing in outside options I'll join in.

For reservoir dries and nymphs I'd like to suggest you have a throw of Paul Arden's sexyloops hot torpedo 9' 4#.

It's an absolute joy to fish with (I have the 6# but will be investing in the 4#) and has more than enough back bone and casting ability to cover what you are wanting it to do.

Dave Robb

« Reply #22 on: 17/02/2018 at 18:39 »
So what are these FX1trout rods going to retail at, do we know yet?

Circa £700?

Terry Coging

« Reply #23 on: 17/02/2018 at 18:53 »
£650/699at Glasgow Angling Centre.
Stephen  - a 10, is preferred for the boat - that extra bit of dibble on lift off.

Euan Innes

« Reply #24 on: 17/02/2018 at 21:56 »
Steven,
Wait until your dad buys one and then try before you buy! :z7
I would love one of the #6 but they are wayyyyyyyyyy out of my price range. Hell, my next salmon rod and reel won't reach that!
Still want to try one though! Will you still have one at the end of June H?

Euan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 17/02/2018 at 22:34 »
Terry,

Since other have been throwing in outside options I'll join in.

For reservoir dries and nymphs I'd like to suggest you have a throw of Paul Arden's sexyloops hot torpedo 9' 4#.

It's an absolute joy to fish with (I have the 6# but will be investing in the 4#) and has more than enough back bone and casting ability to cover what you are wanting it to do.

Hi Steven,

I have the very first Hot Torpedo #5 ( serial 001 ) in 'as new' condition :z12
If you, or anybody else would like it ....... I think £500 would be a fair price, although I suspect it's probably worth a good bit more than that.

Cheers
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #26 on: 17/02/2018 at 22:42 »
Will you still have one at the end of June H?

I will own one by then chum... so yes  :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #27 on: 17/02/2018 at 22:45 »
WTF?? Did you sell your son to Madonna???
And is your good lady aware of this fact or should I shut my hole right now?

Euan

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #28 on: 17/02/2018 at 23:01 »
Steven,
Wait until your dad buys one and then try before you buy! :z7
I would love one of the #6 but they are wayyyyyyyyyy out of my price range. Hell, my next salmon rod and reel won't reach that!
Still want to try one though! Will you still have one at the end of June H?

Euan

Who do you think bought my 6# for me  :z4 it's at Dad's house. Feel free to swing in past for a shot  :z16

Paul is supposed to be sending me a prototype short 3# burn rod. I'll let you know if he ever gets round to it (it is Paul after all  :z7) as I think it will be a real gem.

:z18

Steven.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #29 on: 17/02/2018 at 23:04 »
Hi Steven,

I have the very first Hot Torpedo #5 ( serial 001 ) in 'as new' condition :z12
If you, or anybody else would like it ....... I think £500 would be a fair price, although I suspect it's probably worth a good bit more than that.

Cheers
Mike

The comp 5 is the same blank as the 6 if my memory serves me correctly so would be a very expensive back up for me. I know a certain other Sinclair who may be keen though  :wink

:z18

Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com