Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

10' #5 something special?
« on: 12/02/2018 at 18:19 »
....and half a century of inexpensive rods later, I am looking for something special  :wink
I am going to treat myself to the best, but the best for me may not be the best for anyone else.
The most expensive will be considered along with the others.  Most fishing is done on large reservoirs. Boat and bank. Dry's and nymphs mainly, sometimes a lure. I like a crisp action rod and  often use a line weight lighter than the rod specification.  I like the rod to boss the line - not approved by most but that's my way.
Started my search this w/e at the British Fly Fair show by trying out a couple of Marryat Tactical.  A 10' 5 wt  and a 10' 4/5 wt.
Both nice smooth rods. The 4/5 was surprisingly the crisper of the two. Should have tried the 5/6 wt.
Arranged to test the new Sage X.  Any comments?

Jeff Donovan

Re: 10' #5 something special?
« Reply #1 on: 13/02/2018 at 00:29 »
Well worth checking out Steve Parkes' Atom Six website http://www.atomsix.co.uk/rods-prices/ A few years ago I purchased one of his Tachyon rods, never looked back. Built to your own specs & a service that's as good as Mike's for lines.   :z16

Dave Robb

« Reply #2 on: 13/02/2018 at 02:25 »
Orvis Hydros 3?  :z8

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 13/02/2018 at 08:07 »
Terry

If you are looking at the top end, you will get lots of opinions. Mine for what its worth is, the Radian is still a better rod than anything else out there, but there are rods that in isolation, that probably feel almost as good for significantly less, just depends what you really want.
I'd head off to the biggest selection you can find to try a few out, if you can. (but it sounds like you have started that already) :z16

Sandy

Dave Robb

« Reply #4 on: 13/02/2018 at 08:56 »
Like most things in life, it’s most likely diminishing returns as you go up the price range with rods in the £250 to £400 offering best price / performance ratio.

However, most of us would probably buy a top end rod if we had the money.  Sandy is right, in isolation with no side by side test most of these rods will feel good in their own way.

Terry Coging

« Reply #5 on: 13/02/2018 at 09:59 »
Thanks for those educated comments guys. The point about trying out rods in isolation is very valid.  Where can I try  three or four top end rods side by side though? Looked at the Atomsix website - some juicy looking stuff there but I would not buy without a try. There is no 10' #5 listed either.
It's a pity that the Marryat has no fighting butt which is important to me on a ten footer.  A ten footer is preferred  - just for that extra foot or two of dibble before lifting off.
A mate is going to let me try his 10' #5 Sage One. He swears by it and can outcast everyone in our club with it. Not looking specifically for a distance weapon though.

Roger Hoad

« Reply #6 on: 13/02/2018 at 10:40 »
Worth looking at the Vision Onki 10'0" #6. Although rated for #6 they will also cast  a #5 well.

I purchased one of these rods a few weeks back and considering that I normally use Hardy Jet and Zephrus Sintrix rods have found the performance of this rod to be just unbelievable.

At first it appears to be a bit soft actioned but will easily put out a 20 yard+ cast with just one false cast and very little effort. It casts well in to the wind and at all distances but also bends like a proper fishing rod when playing a fish. I can not fault this rod other than two small exceptions, it doesn't have a keeper ring or line up marks. It does have a fighting Butt.

The other rod that is worth a look is the 9'6" #5 Redington Vice. Quite a tippy rod for a #5 weight but casts well and is user friendly.

Both of these rods are distributed by Guide Flyfishing so there should be no issues with After Sales Service

Roger

Dave Robb

« Reply #7 on: 13/02/2018 at 14:01 »
You also have the guys on here who swear by the Epic glass rods (which I want next, albeit I’ve never used one, but it’s going to have to wait anyway) but I think you have to get those imported.

It is indeed difficult to test multiple rods at once, unless you can take a day or two travel to one of the big retailers who have facilities in place to let you try them out.

Read the Yellowstone anglers 5# shootout, they tend to do one every year and offer a fairly comprehensive roundup of mid to top end rods.

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/2017-5-weight-shootout-fly-rod-review-best-5-weight-rod-best-fishing-pole-best-fly-rod-g-loomis-nrx-lp-scott-radian-g-loomis-asquith-t-t-avantt-thomas-and-thomas-avant-edge-by-gary-loomis-orvis-h2-covert-winston-air-sage-x

I fully expect the Helios 3 to come near the top this year.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #8 on: 13/02/2018 at 14:07 »
....and half a century of inexpensive rods later, I am looking for something special  :wink
I am going to treat myself to the best, but the best for me may not be the best for anyone else.
The most expensive will be considered along with the others.  Most fishing is done on large reservoirs. Boat and bank. Dry's and nymphs mainly, sometimes a lure. I like a crisp action rod and  often use a line weight lighter than the rod specification.  I like the rod to boss the line - not approved by most but that's my way.
Started my search this w/e at the British Fly Fair show by trying out a couple of Marryat Tactical.  A 10' 5 wt  and a 10' 4/5 wt.
Both nice smooth rods. The 4/5 was surprisingly the crisper of the two. Should have tried the 5/6 wt.
Arranged to test the new Sage X.  Any comments?

Marryat Tactical Pro really are something special, however so it the Marryat Tactical Bombarde, I fish this in a #7 and can say it's an excellent rod for bank and boat stillwater fishing.  Smooth, progressive and light, but has the power to work it if you need to.  Not that I am biased  :wink but I've a review coming out soon on the Fishing Matters site  :z4.

Hamish Young

« Reply #9 on: 13/02/2018 at 17:25 »
Some good suggestions there and Steve Parkes rods are very good indeed. I've not tried the new Helios 3, but if it's anywhere near its predecessors that bodes well.

However, as I've seen first hand the amount of work/time/effort that's gone into their development, I'm probably going to have one of these myself https://www.mackenzieflyfishing.com/products/10ft-6-graphene-single-handed-rod which although rated a #6 and one weight over your preferred rating is a belter.
Well, the prototype was.....  :wink..... and I've no reason to believe it will be anything less than excellent, I hope to be trying the production model this week  :z16
H

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 14/02/2018 at 08:21 »
I would go custom.  Several very nice blanks out there at a reasonable price.

Terry Coging

« Reply #11 on: 14/02/2018 at 17:19 »

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 15/02/2018 at 08:34 »
very educational .

Just be careful as the extra 1 foot can alter the balance, feel and action of a rod a fair bit from the 9 footers they tested. I was looking at the Helios 3 10 foot 3 weight for bugging. Its a very different rod to the standard 9 foot rod.

However, the Yellowstone shoot outs do bring up some good points about marketing crap, the true cost of rods and finish and fittings.

Terry Coging

« Reply #13 on: 15/02/2018 at 10:20 »
Yes Rob, the ten footer is bound to behave differently. As you say, the report highlights some things that are not mentioned in the marketing blurb. Warranties (the small print), finish and value comparisons,  etc.  The flex test comparisons were quite revealing.
Sure would like to try a G Loomis. Put me off the Sage X a bit but will still try it. Looking forward to hearing how Hamish gets on with the Mackenzie graphene.
I am enjoying buying 'something special' already  and can foresee a 'testing trip' or two coming up :z16
The wife just can't understand it. I have a dozen or so fly rods, why do I need another?  :z8

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #14 on: 15/02/2018 at 11:04 »
Terry,

She is right, I don't think any of us actually understand it but for me that's not the point. If I was to look at it rationally I would have a far healthier bank balance but would I be happier? Hmm doubt it.

:z18

Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com