#COUGH# streamers....  :wink

James Laraway

Re: River Don 2018
« Reply #106 on: 14/06/2018 at 20:33 »
Articulated streamers I’ll think you’ll find 🤣

Scott Cumming

« Reply #107 on: 15/06/2018 at 08:16 »
Went out in hope of an evening rise last night. Still blowing a hoolie at 10pm, flat calm and fish rising by 11pm.  :z16

:z18
Scott

James Laraway

« Reply #108 on: 19/06/2018 at 09:42 »
well, i went out last night and caught LOTS of wee fish, didnt see anything decent. Gave up by 9pm as my hayfever was killing me...

was nice to be back on the river but boy are there a lot of small fish at monymusk !

the other thing i noticed, or didnt notice rather was the supposed beat markers - never saw a single one so had a nice time fishing up and down !

James Craig

« Reply #109 on: 19/06/2018 at 12:26 »
well, i went out last night and caught LOTS of wee fish, didnt see anything decent. Gave up by 9pm as my hayfever was killing me...

was nice to be back on the river but boy are there a lot of small fish at monymusk !

the other thing i noticed, or didnt notice rather was the supposed beat markers - never saw a single one so had a nice time fishing up and down !

I noticed the same about the beat markers - I think Storm Frank took care of the majority of them. I've fished beat 6/7 a good few times and am only just getting to know the water. I think they have updated their beat maps on FishPal - I had thought that the beat ended not far below the road bridge, but it now seems to continue right down towards the left hand bend, where there is another good trouty pool.

I really enjoy Monymusk, but find it quite pricey to fish often. My impression is that it is not fished regularly and the FishPal availability tends to suggest that too.  I think the nature of the Monymusk beats would suit a 'season ticket' arrangement or similar, but doubt that would be of great interest to the Estate.

James

Graeme Stewart

« Reply #110 on: 19/06/2018 at 13:31 »

You know, they say size isn't important............ :X2

G

James Laraway

« Reply #111 on: 19/06/2018 at 14:01 »
You know, they say size isn't important............ :X2

G

you keep telling yourself that  :z4

Dave Robb

« Reply #112 on: 19/06/2018 at 16:35 »
My hayfever has really ramped up in the last 10 days, it’s almost unbearable at times.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #113 on: 19/06/2018 at 17:01 »
I noticed the same about the beat markers - I think Storm Frank took care of the majority of them. I've fished beat 6/7 a good few times and am only just getting to know the water. I think they have updated their beat maps on FishPal - I had thought that the beat ended not far below the road bridge, but it now seems to continue right down towards the left hand bend, where there is another good trouty pool.

I really enjoy Monymusk, but find it quite pricey to fish often. My impression is that it is not fished regularly and the FishPal availability tends to suggest that too.  I think the nature of the Monymusk beats would suit a 'season ticket' arrangement or similar, but doubt that would be of great interest to the Estate.

James

James, my old man used to have two syndicate rods on one of the monymusk beats. I could describe almost every square inch of the beat but I can't for the life of me remember which number it was. This would have been circa 20 years ago now but it could well still be going.

Steven

Ashley Thomas

« Reply #114 on: 19/06/2018 at 19:22 »
My hayfever has really ramped up in the last 10 days, it’s almost unbearable at times.

Funny that, I’m having real bother with it this year too. Benadryl tablets seem to be suppressing it a bit better though.

Ash  :z16

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #115 on: 19/06/2018 at 21:11 »
James, my old man used to have two syndicate rods on one of the monymusk beats. I could describe almost every square inch of the beat but I can't for the life of me remember which number it was. This would have been circa 20 years ago now but it could well still be going.

Steven
Stevie,

It was the bottom best of Castle Forbes opposite the top beat of Monymusk. And very good trout water it was too. However my abiding memory was of letting you go down to the corner pool on your own whilst I faffed about tackling up. You were about ten at the time. I thought I might have heard you shout but dismissed it as the wind through the trees. When I finally wondered down to the river there you were hanging on for grim death attached to a large angry silver tourist. Under no supervision from me you landed the beast and promptly told me that you wanted to put it back. A fisher ( loose term) on the other bank berated me for forcing you to put it back, and after informing him that it was your own decision an extremely proud old man realised that you were a proper sportsman and that all was well with the world.

Eddie

James Laraway

« Reply #116 on: 19/06/2018 at 21:48 »

Steven

There was a farm and fishing hut on the far side of the river with a nice pool in front?

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #117 on: 19/06/2018 at 21:51 »
James,

That is correct, I built the hut so that the the syndicate rods had a place to shelter and have a cup of coffee on rainy days. I have not been up there for a long time. Not sure if it is still standing.

James Laraway

« Reply #118 on: 19/06/2018 at 22:08 »
James,

That is correct, I built the hut so that the the syndicate rods had a place to shelter and have a cup of coffee on rainy days. I have not been up there for a long time. Not sure if it is still standing.

Well it’s certainly there and looks in pretty good nick!

James Craig

« Reply #119 on: 20/06/2018 at 10:34 »
Well it’s certainly there and looks in pretty good nick!

I wonder if that was the stretch of the river belonging to the owner of Place of Tilliefoure. I met the chap once, who told me that both banks were very rarely fished there now.

I had a wander through Paradise Woods last night - very pretty water through there!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com