Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Scott Cumming

Re: River Don 2018
« Reply #90 on: 02/06/2018 at 07:33 »
Nice night to be on the river bank, although the water is getting extremely low. Managed to tempt some nice trout on a sparsely dressed sedge pattern  :z16

Always that bit sweeter on the dry :wink

:z18
Scott

Liam Stephen

« Reply #91 on: 02/06/2018 at 08:41 »
Oh for sure, hence you catching ‘99%’ of yours on the dry......  :X2 :z14

Dave Robb

« Reply #92 on: 02/06/2018 at 11:57 »
I was out late last night also (might have been you Scott that was parked next to me). Yet another cracking looking fish, well done.

Strange evening all in I thought.

Was really nice earlier, seemingly perfect conditions yet barely a fish moving apart from a couple of leaping tourists.

Once dusk came in I stirred up a couple of decent looking fish but didn't connect.  I will get one of these lumps yet

Hopefully.

Scott Cumming

« Reply #93 on: 04/06/2018 at 00:11 »
I was out late last night also (might have been you Scott that was parked next to me)
That wasn’t me Dave. I’ve been out six out of the last seven evenings, apart from one evening it’s been tough going. Most nights I’d be lucky to break the 1/2 lb mark. There has been a small window when fish have been hitting emerging sedge, they’ll come up two or three times before disappearing for the night. I have some nice fish pegged though. I see the water is carrying some colour tonight, did I miss something when I was away Saturday night?

Scott

Dave Robb

« Reply #94 on: 04/06/2018 at 08:57 »
Ah, definitely wasn’t you then if you weren’t out Saturday as same car from Friday was parked next to me on the Saturday night.

So yeah, was out Saturday from early evening.  Hooked a belter of a sea trout mid evening which took off like a train, down to my backing and to the point I had to put the brakes on.  It then came off.  Plenty of sea trout to be seen though, jumping clean out of the water.

Very little activity from the browns, just like you’re saying there was a very small window, maybe 2200 -2230 where they became a bit more active but then it went dead again despite plenty of flies on the water.

And boy are they being choosy.  Even with a greatly reduced size in fly (took me ages to get the bloody thing tied on) they were still just having the odd look at it and not committing.

Gavin Stevenson

« Reply #95 on: 04/06/2018 at 10:14 »
If it was a black pick up then it was myself, I have been out couple of nights and agree with the comments, brown trout been small and activity period short lived however have seen a number of sea trout including day time feeders.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #96 on: 05/06/2018 at 08:53 »
And boy are they being choosy.  Even with a greatly reduced size in fly (took me ages to get the bloody thing tied on) they were still just having the odd look at it and not committing.

Try going bigger, up to a size 10 or even an 8 :wink

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #97 on: 05/06/2018 at 09:53 »
Not been out much of late with the house an all, but i did get out the other night and the decent ones were only out to play for about 30mins right at the death.
Sedge emergers as Scott said, but i had to go up a size or two to get some solid interest :z16

Going for another bash tonight :z16

Sandy

Dave Robb

« Reply #98 on: 05/06/2018 at 10:00 »
Won’t manage an evening session until the weekend but will go bigger if they’re moving in the dusk.  Just got some sizeable sedgehogs which might be worth a bash late on.

Think I’m going to invest in some new leader material this week, currently using Maxima green but will look at other options see if that helps.

Scott Cumming

« Reply #99 on: 05/06/2018 at 11:53 »
Scott
Think I’m going to invest in some new leader material this week, currently using Maxima green but will look at other options see if that helps.

The fish can become leader shy, what breaking strain/diameter you using?

My setup is 9.5ft Froghair supple butt leader with loop to loop connection (thats perfection loop) to a length of froghair copolymer tippet with double davy knot to fly. This has been a solid setup i’ve used for years. I’ll seldom use anything less than 5x-4.9lbs on the Don, sometimes go down to 6x - 3.7lbs but at this time of year we have thick patches of weed to negotiate.

Recently I have been using a sparsely dressed size 14 CDC sedge on a curved hook. I agree with Sandy, sometimes you have to go bigger than the natural, it can trigger a reaction from the trout. Send me a PM if you want some flies to try  :wink

scott

Dave Robb

« Reply #100 on: 05/06/2018 at 13:12 »
So was using a #4 line, Roman moser loop then 5lb down to 4lb, however I realise this isn’t great for turnover and I probably need a better taper.

The above is fine when using beaded nymphs etc and I catch with that during the day but I need to address this for dries in the evening.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #101 on: 06/06/2018 at 08:59 »
I was on a 6wt with a 14ft 4x tapered Rene Harrop leader with a 4.5x 3ft tippet last night.
Size 12 Emerging sedge pattern and fishing in 8" of water at the very tail of a pool.
A few small ones rising and this one was doing curcuits in amongst them.

Camera not so good in the dark and the flash only works every now and then :z7

Sandy

Scott Cumming

« Reply #102 on: 13/06/2018 at 19:47 »
There were some nice trout on the feed last night... Maybe they've heard about the storm brewing too. :z16

Scott

Alan Urquhart

« Reply #103 on: 14/06/2018 at 16:52 »
Another cracker Scott  :z16

James Laraway

« Reply #104 on: 14/06/2018 at 19:04 »
I’m back on the don on Monday evening...monymusk for the first time 😊

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com