Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Eddie Sinclair

Re: River Don 2018
« Reply #30 on: 03/04/2018 at 08:51 »
Rob,

you are right and Steven and I have been doing some fishing in Brunei, but we cannae find any troots. :X2 :X2

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #31 on: 03/04/2018 at 09:03 »
Rob,

you are right and Steven and I have been doing some fishing in Brunei, but we cannae find any troots. :X2 :X2

You are looking in the wrong places lol.

Used to catch a "trout like" Barb way up the Labi road at a beautiful waterfall. Only grew to about 10" but looked like an anaemic Brown Trout and would take dry flies :)

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #32 on: 04/04/2018 at 03:50 »
You are looking in the wrong places lol.

Used to catch a "trout like" Barb way up the Labi road at a beautiful waterfall. Only grew to about 10" but looked like an anaemic Brown Trout and would take dry flies :)

Rob,

I know where you mean. I'll take a wander up there this weekend for a look see of I get off the rig on Friday 👍

The Ikan bulan (Indo pacific tarpon) are very easy to catch on the fly. I tend to outfish the locals 10 to 1 with their spinning gear  :z4

Did you ever investigate any of the larger lakes/dams for giant snakehead?

I'm assuming you were based at the hanaffi?

:z18

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #33 on: 04/04/2018 at 08:42 »
Rob,

I know where you mean. I'll take a wander up there this weekend for a look see of I get off the rig on Friday 👍

The Ikan bulan (Indo pacific tarpon) are very easy to catch on the fly. I tend to outfish the locals 10 to 1 with their spinning gear  :z4

Did you ever investigate any of the larger lakes/dams for giant snakehead?

I'm assuming you were based at the hanaffi?

:z18

Steven.

We lived in Mumong and then Panaga. I was but a teenager so my fishing was limited to where I could cycle.

The sungi's on the golf course in Panaga were my main spots, fishing for things I could put in my tank...Clown Loach, Tiger Barbs, 3 spot Gourami's,  Glassfish, climbing Perch, Bumblebee Gobies, various Barbs etc :) I used to catch them on tiny hooks, a little bit of bacon rind and a "tenkara" rod.

However, I started to notice big swirls and splashes under the overhanging trees and discovered that there were Datnoids (Sumatran Tiger Fish) in them. Superb fun on a fly rod. Grow to about 6lb and look a bit like an angry Perch crossed with a Barramundi! I only had an old 7 weight rod back then but a 5 or 6 weight would be ideal.

I also used to fish the estuary at Seria, both on the seaward side and the lagoon side. Mostly had catfish but I regularly bumped into a Chinese gentleman that fly fished it. He mostly had Barramundi, Mangrove Snapper or Mullet.

Talking of Mullet...when the sea is flat calm, its well worth walking with polaroids and spotting shoals of Mullet. Incredibly spooky, but they will take a fly. Its the closest I ever got to Bonefish fishing :) Up by the Anduki airfield was most productive.

There were a couple of ponds up the Labi road as well, stocked with Carp. I understand they were part of a Government experiment to see if carp could be a food source, letting them swim around the padi fields until ready for harvesting. I never got to fish them but I had heard there were carp around the 30lb mark.

As for Snakeheads, I had never seen or heard of them when I lived there (30+ years ago) but you could buy them in certain stores in Kuala Belait and Seria. It would not surprise me if they found their way into the waterways. The other "big" fish that the Chinese bought were Arawana. I remember seeing fish 3 feet long curled up in 2 foot tanks in the shops!! There MUST be some of them in the sungais.

Gavin Stevenson

« Reply #34 on: 07/04/2018 at 17:57 »
fished lower stretch over lunchtime, constant dark oilve hatch but rises were sporadic. Still managed to land 4 around 1 to 2lbs all on hairs ear CDC. Good start to season

Euan Innes

« Reply #35 on: 08/04/2018 at 04:46 »
We lived in Mumong and then Panaga. I was but a teenager so my fishing was limited to where I could cycle.

The sungi's on the golf course in Panaga were my main spots, fishing for things I could put in my tank...Clown Loach, Tiger Barbs, 3 spot Gourami's,  Glassfish, climbing Perch, Bumblebee Gobies, various Barbs etc :) I used to catch them on tiny hooks, a little bit of bacon rind and a "tenkara" rod.

However, I started to notice big swirls and splashes under the overhanging trees and discovered that there were Datnoids (Sumatran Tiger Fish) in them. Superb fun on a fly rod. Grow to about 6lb and look a bit like an angry Perch crossed with a Barramundi! I only had an old 7 weight rod back then but a 5 or 6 weight would be ideal.

I also used to fish the estuary at Seria, both on the seaward side and the lagoon side. Mostly had catfish but I regularly bumped into a Chinese gentleman that fly fished it. He mostly had Barramundi, Mangrove Snapper or Mullet.

Talking of Mullet...when the sea is flat calm, its well worth walking with polaroids and spotting shoals of Mullet. Incredibly spooky, but they will take a fly. Its the closest I ever got to Bonefish fishing :) Up by the Anduki airfield was most productive.

There were a couple of ponds up the Labi road as well, stocked with Carp. I understand they were part of a Government experiment to see if carp could be a food source, letting them swim around the padi fields until ready for harvesting. I never got to fish them but I had heard there were carp around the 30lb mark.

As for Snakeheads, I had never seen or heard of them when I lived there (30+ years ago) but you could buy them in certain stores in Kuala Belait and Seria. It would not surprise me if they found their way into the waterways. The other "big" fish that the Chinese bought were Arawana. I remember seeing fish 3 feet long curled up in 2 foot tanks in the shops!! There MUST be some of them in the sungais.
I have to say this Rob, very enviously (not jealously, that is a different thing), did you EVER work or did fishing just consume you?
I have childhood stories that involve burns in the Highlands and you come out with this. Dude , if this was poker, Royal Flush right there.
Well played Sir! :z14
 :z1

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #36 on: 08/04/2018 at 22:37 »
Rob,

Steven and I have fished the estuary at Seria quite a few times catching Bulan Bulan on the fly and Steven caught a marbled Goby over 2kg as well. Sounds like we need to investigate the water around the golf course as this is only ten minutes from the house.

Only one small issue with the estuary, we startled a very large saltwater croc on the bank one day, however I think I was more startled than the croc. I am home right now but heading back to KB on the first of May. Any other info on locations is greatly appreciated.

Eddie

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #37 on: 09/04/2018 at 08:40 »
Only one small issue with the estuary, we startled a very large saltwater croc on the bank one day,

Occupational hazard!!

I learned to waterski in the Belait river and dodging crocs was part of the fun! lol

Will have to start another thread away from the River Don report lol

Scott Cumming

« Reply #38 on: 12/04/2018 at 07:58 »
It's been a slow start, but there are signs that things are finally starting to improve...

:z16
Scott

Mike Barrio

« Reply #39 on: 12/04/2018 at 08:11 »
Nice one Scott :z12

Nicolas Carles

« Reply #40 on: 12/04/2018 at 09:46 »
That’s a really good one Scott. Congrat!
Yes I confirm Scott...
Back to Scotland for a few days with the kids. A bit too cold, a bit too high, a bit too much of easterly wind, but we managed to spot a few good fish on the dry (all on CdC LDO), all carefully returned.
Tight lines and many thanks all for your passion and for all you are doing to preserve this fantastic river and amazing trouts.
Nicolas

Sorry, I did not find out how to properly rotate the pics.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #41 on: 12/04/2018 at 10:57 »
I have still not spotted a fish, despite a few hatches...the joys of fishing public waters I guess.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #42 on: 12/04/2018 at 13:44 »
Scott, Nicolas - great! thanks for sharing.
Great to see a few coming off. I've *still* not wet a line this season, so it helps to see a few good trouts.

cheers
iain

Nicolas Carles

« Reply #43 on: 13/04/2018 at 18:04 »
Our last day of this (too) short visit to the Don. Still this cold easterly wind, but some flies drifting from 1.30 pm and a few fish rising sporadically.  Walking along the banks with a good dose of perseverance, that was the tip for today.

Wishing you all great time and trophy Brownies  like only the Don can offer.
Tight lines
Cheers
Nicolas

Scott Cumming

« Reply #44 on: 13/04/2018 at 19:07 »
Nice one Nicolas  :z16 and yes, will definitely meet up for a cast the next time you visit, be good to catch up  :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com