Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Graham Nicol

Re: River Don 2018
« Reply #135 on: 25/09/2018 at 07:50 »
They are getting some decent catches on the Dee now. Is anyone hearing or catching anything on the Don?

Mike Barrio

« Reply #136 on: 25/09/2018 at 22:02 »
Enjoyed a great day on the river today ...... probably the last for this season for me  :cry

Lots of feisty Don Brownies :z12 and as usual, Sandy caught twice as many and the bigger ones :z4  :z4

A few fell to nymphs in the morning, but as the day warmed up a bit, so did the hatches and most of the fish were on dries.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #137 on: 26/09/2018 at 14:17 »
It was great to be out again after such a hiatus  :z10, probably my last for the season, but the first for 14 weeks! ah well cest la vie.

Lovely day for it too, nice to see the river from a different perspective, funny how things can be different from another bank :z7
some good light for pictures too.

So looks like its back to rods, flies and memories, lets hope the winter passes just as fast........

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #138 on: 27/09/2018 at 00:21 »
.......... and thanks for the brews Sandy, great coffee :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #139 on: 24/10/2018 at 15:35 »
Not many days left for the Salmon season now ...... anybody out having a cast?

Andy Finlay

« Reply #140 on: 24/10/2018 at 20:22 »
Not many days left for the Salmon season now ...... anybody out having a cast?

I genuinely thought the season was finished. Might dig out the salmon rod but probably better just sticking it on eBay with the rest of my salmon gear as don’t think I used it at all this season.

Neil Buchan

« Reply #141 on: 24/10/2018 at 22:51 »
 :z16 yeah I'm heading out tomorrow morning hopefully get the net wet 🤔😬

James Laraway

« Reply #142 on: 25/10/2018 at 09:19 »
I think i started fishing the Don in 2008 for salmon.

I never bothered trying for springers so would only really start in the summer / autumn.

I fished the kintore council stretch for a few years and in sept and oct the river would literally be jumping with salmon - they would be leaping every few minutes.

In oct especially i woudl be pretty confindent that if i had half a day on the river i would most likely catch one.

The later on i fished Grandhome. Once again if i was in sept or oct i would be dissapointed if i had a day that i didnt catch one, and probably more fish..In fact i rember one morning on the weir pool hooking about 8 fish ( but only landing one) so the pool must have been stacked with them.

Sadly how things have changed....

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com