Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

In discussion with an old colleague from 'back in the day' I heard from him that Marine Scotland introduced a further revision to the rules on stocking Brown Trout in rivers for 2018. It was already the case that in an effort to protect local populations that fish being stocked (if not reared from local stock) must be triploids.

The 'new bit', which became effective on the first of January, is the conditional timing of when stockies can be introduced.
The new rule states that "the introduction of adult brown trout into rivers and streams may only be carried out between 1st May and 31st December".
This is apparently in an effort to mitigate the potential negative impacts of introducing stockies which will be competition for juveniles of indigenous stock of trout and (perhaps more in the governments current focus) the potential for predation of juvenile Atlantic Salmon.

I note with interest the reference is clearly only for adult 'stockies', this intrigues me....presumably lots of hungry smaller fish are not considered a threat  :z8  I am also super intrigued that an exemption to the rule can be sought, but only on certain scientific or conservation grounds. Hmmmmm. Presumably there will be an evidential Marine Scotland sliding scale which is as transparent as the process used for determining Salmon River categorisation.....  :X2

Whilst I do think this is all a step in the right direction, I wonder what qualifies as indigenous local stock and why the concern is only for adult stockies.

H

Derek Roxborough

Re: Marine Scotland rules on stocking Brown Trout in rivers
« Reply #1 on: 21/01/2018 at 15:43 »
I think Marine Scotland have some uncertainty issues, shouldn't there be a freshwater body to deal with this ? also is stocking Brown trout such a big issue in Scotland especially in rivers? our club has bout in fish in the past, and an old club member talked about restocking in the 30's from Howietoun, so would  we have any Native browns here?, he talked about stocking every 3 years, stocking lochs up to 1500 ft up, the historic stocking round here goes ba,ck to at least 1870, when brook trout were stocked into a loch 2,000 ft up in the Torridon hills ,  more jobs for the boys, like the fishery trusts, colour me cynical  :shock Derek Roxborough

Rob Brownfield

Re: Marine Scotland rules on stocking Brown Trout in rivers
« Reply #2 on: 22/01/2018 at 08:21 »
Links to what Hamish is talking about. Applies equally to Rainbows by the way:

http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0052/00526209.docx and
http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0049/00494675.pdf

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com