Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Felce

buy cheap, buy twice. in praise of patagonia
« on: 17/01/2018 at 21:38 »
so, a bit of a 'feel-good' story here. this is the lovely Patagonia Worn-Wear crew in Aviemore today, having repaired a zip on a pocket of my 30+ year-old Patagonia fishing vest. what a cracking bunch of Patagoniacs! 😎

This is the first Patagonia fishing vest to make it to the UK.

The story behind this is that I was working in The Outdoor Shop, Milton Keynes at the time. We were one of the first UK shops to stock Patagonia clothing and rep Robbie Mallinson (from the now defunct Europasport, Kendal) showed us this vest. I loved it, but it was their only sample, so I couldn’t buy it.

Three months later Robbie re-appeared to give me the vest; he’d failed to get orders for a single one as it was far too radical for the staid & conservative British market, primarily because it wasn’t green!! It has been my companion ever since.

Mike Barrio

Re: buy cheap, buy twice. in praise of patagonia
« Reply #1 on: 17/01/2018 at 22:03 »
Great story and photos Dave. Good quality, long lasting bits of kit can become 'Old Friends' :z16

I'd seen a few comments about the Patagonia Worn-Wear service, it's good to know it's happening in places like Aviemore too.

So ..... you're a bit 'radical' then  :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 17/01/2018 at 22:04 »
Very cool Dave.
I have one of the first Tilley T3 hats that came in to the UK and I still wear it.
I was in Murrays tackle shop in Banchory and the Tilley rep gave me the hat to try and get the name out there. I did sell a heck of a lot of them! My old hat is well worn, sweat stained and a lot more faded since I got it 24 years ago but I would not part with it for anything! Good times! :z13
 :z1

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 17/01/2018 at 22:39 »
Rohan do a similar service free of charge replacing the zip on my "bags" Derek Roxborough

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 18/01/2018 at 08:24 »
Hilltrek in Aboyne also have a repair service as well as making kit from scratch or converting existing gear.  Can be any make and if they can work their magic, they will.

I have had extra pockets put on a smock :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com