Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Derek Roxborough

fly name
« on: 14/01/2018 at 15:57 »
 in the 70's I tied a fly I knew as a Clan chief, it had a green body dubbed mid green, a silver rib , and a palmered grouse hackle 3/4 turns,it is obviously not the Clan chief known now, if any one knows this fly let me know what its right name is, it was a good middle dropper fly, it kind of fell out of fashion with me but I will be tying it again this season, :z8 Derek  Roxborough

Sandy Nelson

Re: fly name
« Reply #1 on: 14/01/2018 at 18:02 »
Maybe it was just a different clan, Derek  :z16

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 14/01/2018 at 20:31 »
 OOH! I walked into that one Sandy? helpful as ever  :X1 Derek Roxborough

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 15/01/2018 at 00:21 »
Derek,

sounds like an interesting fly for the lochs. If you do tie some can you post a picture?

Eddie.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 15/01/2018 at 12:33 »
 it is an interesting fly I used it widely at one time, and when I get back to tying (shortly) I will post it  but I would like to know the true name , it's bugging me (not a pun)  :shock Derek Roxborough

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 15/01/2018 at 16:51 »
Hi Derek,

If you're having problems with posting your photo, see reply #9 in this post https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5254.0

Then copy the link from the gallery here https://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=4742

............ and paste the link in your post.

Hope that helps
Best wishes
Mike

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 15/01/2018 at 21:31 »
didn't manage to get that done mike , although I'm sure it's in the Gallery, not the most clued up  :z8 Derek Roxborough

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 15/01/2018 at 21:52 »
There you go Derek :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 16/01/2018 at 05:17 »
From the original description I thought this sounded akin to the 'Stewart' style of semi-palmered spiders that I used to tie for a couple of guys who fished the Don every year - long time ago now.
Having seen the photo it's certainly akin to simple soft hackle or half palmered patterns, but not sure what the origin or name of the pattern is.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 16/01/2018 at 15:07 »
 Thanks Mike ,  it could be a relative Hamish, but " Clan Chief" sticks in my mind, I came across this in the 70's before the current "clan chief " showed up, I started a scrap book of flies some time after but missed this one,  :z8  Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com