Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Laraway

Mono thread
« on: 05/01/2018 at 19:59 »
I was just wondering if anyone uses mono thread. Online lots of people seem to use it for tying predator flies. It is much like mono line and is it not slippery? One for Rob...

Derek Roxborough

Re: Mono thread
« Reply #1 on: 05/01/2018 at 20:26 »
 I have used it , very slippy , it's the same as the Invisible Mending stuff you can buy, Derek Roxborough

James Laraway

« Reply #2 on: 05/01/2018 at 21:25 »
If it's slippy I'm amazed it's used for tying as I would think that it would not hold material in place...I've been using GSP thread recently... talk about tough. Could slice your fingers with it...

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 06/01/2018 at 09:36 »
I use it on my nymphs (invisible thread as Derek says, pretty good stuff).  Needs varnish over though as it is very slippy.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 09/01/2018 at 08:40 »
I was just wondering if anyone uses mono thread. Online lots of people seem to use it for tying predator flies. It is much like mono line and is it not slippery? One for Rob...

I have used it and I probably have a few spools still sitting at home. Not seen much of an advantage for predator flies to tell the truth.

I much prefer Semperfli Silk Predator. Its a GSP in 6/0 size and is as tough as old boots. Only issue with it is that it will cut through bucktail and the like, but if you just spin it anti clockwise, the thread flattens and bites rather than cuts. Amazing stuff for synthetics.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com