Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Streamer fishing
« Reply #15 on: 05/01/2018 at 10:01 »
i do have SLX's for my 7wt and recently got one for my #6 switch ...so all tooled up as they say :-)

I actually use lightly weighted Woolly Buggers on a 4 weight SLX. Size 6 probably the biggest.

On the 7 weight its easy to chuck a long shank size 2 with several wraps of lead :)

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #16 on: 05/01/2018 at 16:55 »
Can't agree with that. Big browns are predatory. Its matching the hatch and a very valid method.

Desperation is the plethora of people using "mop" flies and blobs on the river!
  Oh Yeah? what hatch? Derek Roxborough

James Laraway

« Reply #17 on: 05/01/2018 at 17:52 »
A single handed skagit is still "spey" cast, not over head.

Looks impressive right enough but good casters can make anything look good . Also I see they use mono running line so no wonder they fly !!!

Liam Stephen

« Reply #18 on: 05/01/2018 at 18:18 »
  Oh Yeah? what hatch? Derek Roxborough

Derek you strike me as being very old school in your methods and opinions. There have been a lot of advances in fly fishing in recent times. At the forefront of this would be nymphing techniques and all that goes with it but that’s off topic.

Secondary to nymphing would be, yup you guessed it streamer fishing.  I think most would agree, that the yanks are mostly responsible for pioneering the modern day techniques. Kelly Galloup is regarded as the godfather of the streamer and is the one most have heard of. Look him up for a masterclass in the method and your opinions will maybe change.

As for matching the hatch, once these fish reach a certain size, it requires high return meals to maintain its condition.  In order to do this it will change its feeding habits. Instead of intercepting thousands of drifting nymphs or emergers trapped in the film it will chose to feed on bigger food items.  Less effort for a higher calorie return. Minnows, stickleback, juvenile trout and other baitfish will become the bulk of its diet.  Therefor using these big profile  highly mobile flies is indeed a perfect ‘match of the hatch’.  :wink

:z18

Dave Robb

« Reply #19 on: 05/01/2018 at 20:06 »
So those that have been fishing streamers on the Don, what sort of patterns are worth trying?

I’m assuming black with some mobility and some flash?

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #20 on: 05/01/2018 at 20:21 »
At 81 I am very old school , you must be about 18 ? I can manage to catch my share with my traditional flies, 6lb WBT on  a size 14 Orange Invicta and a 3lb+  WBT on a size 12 Claret bumble, to each his own, I do use modern Equipment and have done since Carbon fibre was introduced , and hope fully I will continue to catch my share, lures aren't every thing  :X2 Derek Roxborough

Hamish Young

« Reply #21 on: 05/01/2018 at 20:37 »
Pretty much all I fished with streamer wise - essentially a woolly bugger. Wee bit of 'what takes your fancy' flash wise, key thing for me was the fluorescent orange bead.... that just seemed to work. Probably just a confidence thing  :z8

Dave Robb

« Reply #22 on: 05/01/2018 at 20:45 »
Pretty much all I fished with streamer wise - essentially a woolly bugger. Wee bit of 'what takes your fancy' flash wise, key thing for me was the fluorescent orange bead.... that just seemed to work. Probably just a confidence thing  :z8

Fished deep?

Will have to give it a go, some of those slow moving deep pools at Fintray might be worth a bash.  Not sure about chucking out a 15cm tandem but will make up some singles.

James Laraway

« Reply #23 on: 05/01/2018 at 20:54 »
I found a predominantly black humongous with orange dumbbell eyes did well for me on the don...

Liam Stephen

« Reply #24 on: 05/01/2018 at 21:32 »
At 81 I am very old school , you must be about 18 ? I can manage to catch my share with my traditional flies, 6lb WBT on  a size 14 Orange Invicta and a 3lb+  WBT on a size 12 Claret bumble, to each his own, I do use modern Equipment and have done since Carbon fibre was introduced , and hope fully I will continue to catch my share, lures aren't every thing  :X2 Derek Roxborough

81 and still fishing, good on you! I’m early 20s myself. There is no denying that wets catch fish.  I totally agree streamers have a time and a place. I’ve had a few chats with a mate and we both reckon a full season on only streamers would produce some of the biggest fish. It’s also have a hell of a lot of fishless days.   :z16

I’m a fan of what I call Ben’s Wooly bugger (black with Orange conehead) and some of the bigger articulated stuff such a Barely Legals, Butt Monkeys and the Drunk and Disorderly.

:z18

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #25 on: 05/01/2018 at 22:35 »
all these American flies, you will have all the old tiers turning in their graves, a lot of these flies came over with the Bows, I don't actually fish bows unless my arm is twisted, I do have a go at the pike with some pike budgies, but it has to be a fine day , when I first moved here flies were almost always 8s or 10s , now we go down to  14s but I tried fishing more 10s last year and it didn't make that much difference to the catches,  but it's knowing your venue, some of the lochs here have no other fish but trout, some times  so Dragonfly larva must be as big as they go,  there are lochs with stickle backs, but it doesn't seem to be a major part of the trout   diet  but its as you find it, Orkney trout  seem to prefer the flies I have managed to tie up for them, bumbles and Invictas, pennels and Zulus   :z18  Derek Roxborough

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #26 on: 06/01/2018 at 07:38 »
So those that have been fishing streamers on the Don, what sort of patterns are worth trying?

Not always Dave

When things go quiet i have been known to swim a streamer in the river, one day it will account for my biggest fish, of that i have no doubt, having seen some of the beasts that they can move. But they are not fun to fish for any period of time, i've been casting some of Stuarts flies on a 5wt fast sinking Streamer tip line with my 8ft3" Bamboo with no issues, it just requires a wee bit of adjustment to timing (and made them more fun to fish than the 7wt did).
But for me its playing , not serious fishing, although i reckon if you hit 2 or 3 of the Don monsters with it, it could become an addiction (but i have enough of those already :z4)

This was my favourite one last year a great match the hatch fly :z16

https://youtu.be/hH7NUF_wePQ

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #27 on: 06/01/2018 at 09:13 »
Fished deep?
Sort of. Super fast sinking line, but fished super fast too..... a silver Humungous and a Butt Monkey have also served me well all over the place, not just the Don.... aside from rivers in my locale each has produced results on lochs all over the Highlands in everything from flat calms to howling gales too  :wink
H

Euan Innes

« Reply #28 on: 06/01/2018 at 11:57 »
This about sums up OPST.

Can't be cast overhead or fish dries my arse! :z4
Another one for the bucket list.
 :z1

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #29 on: 06/01/2018 at 20:40 »
Awesome  Vid , Wow Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com