Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Clearing out fly boxes
« on: 04/01/2018 at 10:35 »
This wretched chest infection is keeping me in and I'm going stir crazy.  An ideal time to  seriously clear out the ten or so fly boxes. Not in the mood for faffing about and I will discard anything that is damaged, rusty, useless or with no future use in sight, honest  :X2 This is an annual event for me when I swear to myself that at least half the collection will go.  It has got so bad that I have boxes for specific venues  :z6  I've been tempted to throw the b...dy lot out and to start from scratch.  Well, here goes........

Terry Coging

Re: Clearing out fly boxes
« Reply #1 on: 08/01/2018 at 11:39 »
It turned out that instead of 10 fly boxes there were fifteen ??? Some I left alone, like the Sea box, Salmon box and a Wheatley wet fly box for rivers which I will give away.  That left 6 standard Fox Boxes (I used to deal with Mr Fox in his small Leicester workshop 50 years ago). Two Leader boxes that fly lines used to be supplied in.  Two very large reservoir boxes and two smaller wooden boxes.
The main problem when chucking flies out is (as well as being a hoarder) is nostalgia. That Baby Doll stuck in the corner of the box since my first day fishing for Rainbows on Blagdon 50 years ago. That Silver March Brown still hiding there after 40 years to remind me when I caught Sewin on a bright 'impossible' afternoon on a Welsh Town water.  And a few others....
The boxes are still laid out but one is now empty and one of the big wooden boxes is filling up with selections to give to a young club member.  Right - lets have another go.

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #2 on: 19/01/2018 at 16:23 »
Like to empty all my boxes [4?] and just put the flies in a box and leave them.  Tie up over the winter what ones I want and then sort through last years stock.
Funny but I always need a fly that I have tied a couple of but tie a dozen of the same pattern
and they stop catching.
Tied up some white flies simply because it was in a mixed bag of bucktail  given me. They were deadly with browns/sea /rainbows/grilse and others. Gave some to friends and they were wanting more so tied up a couple of hundred for the following season. None of us have caught a fish on them since.
Bob.

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 25/01/2018 at 11:11 »
Just bought 'another' box of flies at the club meeting - just can't help it  :z8  Some very nice dry flies in there though  :wink

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 25/01/2018 at 11:13 »
 :z4  :z4  :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com