Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Re: Boat in the Highlands?
« Reply #15 on: 30/12/2017 at 16:41 »
Oddly enough my boat drifts faster with the drogue  from the bow, which is the highest part of the boat.  On a shallow windswept lake I fish in Brittany, I opt for a bouncing anchor used like a drogue.  Iron ball,  length of chain and rope.  No good on deep rocky lochs though. 
It works well on the grassy, muddy lake bottom and fish lying in shallow water near the bank can be approached with stealth.  On a longish anchor rope it is possible to cover a lot of water as the boat swings slowly around in an arc. When the arc is completed a sharp tug on the rope releases the iron ball and the boat drifts towards the bank a few yards, before another arc is covered. This is not possible when the wind strengthens though. OK not purist but it works on this difficult lake  :wink
I usually fish alone on this 1000 acre Breton lake where the fish are in small pockets. It is not often that a productive drift can be set up along a bank ( most fish are close in) so a different approach has been necessary.

Hamish Young

« Reply #16 on: 31/12/2017 at 15:32 »
Which lake :? My folks used to live not far from Plougonven, Dad and I were going to hit Lac Du Drennec or the Reservoir de Saint Michel.... but his health wasn't up to it in the six years they were in Brittany and we never did get a cast there before they moved back to Scotland  :cry

Terry Coging

« Reply #17 on: 31/12/2017 at 18:30 »
Mainly Lac St Michel but also Drennec.  I have been fortunate to enjoy a golden decade of fly fishing on St Michel. This golden period went into decline three seasons ago when pike matches and advertising  popularised the venue for spinning and tubing.
I am OK with tubing but on this lake where most fish are close in and teams of Germans systematically work the margins, a drifting boat has no chance. The trout just became too stressed. There are no brown trout there now and rainbows are stacked at a minimum of 1.5kg and even they are pike food. So it is now mainly a pike venue. I have caught a lot of 5kg plus rainbows there over the years. Lac du Drennec is a totally different lake and is a lovely fly water for browns and rainbows.  I have had some nice days there from boat and bank. Let me know if you go to Brittany again. If I am there you can share my boat. Although I am selling up and bringing my best boat home, I am leaving the spare boat with a pal who lives there. 

Terry Coging

« Reply #18 on: 09/05/2018 at 09:09 »
8 of us will be up Assynt way again in June..yippeee.  We are taking one boat, a petrol engine with long range tank and an electric o/b with two 130 AH batteries. Everyone wants to have a day on Shin, preferably from Overscaig end.  Most fishing will be on  Cam and Veyatie. I have the Lairg Angling Club details but would appreciate any info/advice/contacts for the Overscaig area.
Also plan another trip in August. I used to go up to Assynt in August many years ago and although reputed to be a poor month it fished quite well. Maybe because I did not use traditional wets  :wink

Hamish Young

« Reply #19 on: 09/05/2018 at 13:49 »
Don't hold me to it Terry, but I believe that the Lairg AC were going to have a boat at the Overscaig end of Shin or somewhere nearby - worth checking with them.
Failing that the Overscaig  Hotel offer a boat or two at 'their' end of Shin plus a boat on Loch Merkland and one other loch I think.

H

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #20 on: 09/05/2018 at 15:43 »
Lairg AC has a boat up at the west end, we had it out last year, very muddy to get to when the loch is down , even the outhauler is over the mud , Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #21 on: 17/05/2018 at 13:34 »
I have boats all booked for Veyatie, Cam and Shin  for 8 of us :cool: We are allowed to launch my own boat on all three Lochs £7.50 launching fee. Can't wait  :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com