Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dave Robb

Wading boots, felt or rubber?
« on: 26/12/2017 at 08:59 »
The age old question.

Got a pair of Orvis Silver Sonic zipper waders for Xmas so think I will buy some new boots.

I currently have felt soles and yes, I’ve had a few slips on the banks.  But is it better to slip on the banks and be safer in the river?

I know there’s the Hogdgman system for changeable soles but not sure if it’s more of a gimic than anything else.  Plus they are pricey.  At the £200 range I also like the look of the Orvis Boa Pivot boot which is rubber with option for studs.

Currently eyeing up a pair of Simms felt soled Headwaters which are reduced to £119 which seems like a decent deal.

Anyway for the Don, should I really just stick to felt?

Liam Stephen

Re: Wading boots, felt or rubber?
« Reply #1 on: 26/12/2017 at 09:12 »
Felt all the way Dave. Some say add studs and others don’t. I’ve had some close ones last season wearing what I call my Ice skates (vibram soles).

Hodgman are ace I’m picking up a set on Thursday. Boa lace systems are a nightmare. Prone to breaking at awkward times.

:z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 26/12/2017 at 09:20 »
Anyway for the Don, should I really just stick to felt?

Personally, if I had to use felt (which I don't in the main), then I'd opt to fit them with studs for the Don - or for anywhere, really.

Dave Robb

« Reply #3 on: 26/12/2017 at 09:33 »
Two quick replies and two different opinions.

It’s pretty much what I’ve read across the net.  Some swear by felt saying rubbers dangerous and vice versa.

The Hodgmans look good, just don’t know if I can be arsed carrying soles around to switch once I get to the river.

My intention this year is to seriously cut down on the amount I’m carrying.  A sling pack will be another purchase in the next month or two.

I also did have concerns ver the Boa system.  Looks good until it breaks.  Laces are simple to replace.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 29/12/2017 at 16:33 »
 as it is Icy here on the footpaths I fitted some of these  non slip studded things, I would used them in the water, light and easy to fit.  I have a set of the" still water" ones and a cheap set of lidls these are much lighter and  easier to fit  , the lassie on Ice road truckers can fit her tyre chains faster than I could fit the Stillwater ones, these are worth looking at as an alternative , Derek Roxborough

Dave Robb

« Reply #5 on: 29/12/2017 at 16:40 »
These river crampons from Patagonia

http://eu.patagonia.com/gb/en/product/ultralight-river-crampons/887187326532.html?CAWELAID=120232940000002172&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8_id49Ov2AIVQj8bCh3l2w1UEAQYASABEgII7PD_BwE

could be a decent option, if it wasn’t for the ludicrous price.

Looked at the Hodgmans today, they do look good.  Didn’t try them on but assuming they are comfy when I do, they are likely to be a purchase before April.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 29/12/2017 at 23:24 »
 the lidl ones were about £6 or so, and seem to do the job without breaking the bank,Derek Roxborough

James Laraway

« Reply #7 on: 01/01/2018 at 18:11 »
If  you are ever likely to fish when it snows or there are muddy banks stay way from felt. I once tried felt on a snowy bank and ended up with a pair of platforms!!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 04/01/2018 at 08:59 »
I have a pair of Orvis "Korkers" with the interchangeable soles...and have stayed with Vibram/Studs combi.  The felt soles went on for one trip and came straight off again.

The Korkers system, Omnitrax, is much improved and their newish "Devils Canyon" boots come with a felt/Alumatrax metal grips. About $229 so should be able to get for about £180 in the UK.

Korkers also do a "Casttrax" over shoe with studs that you can slip onto felt boots for walking on the bank/snow and then slip them off when wading.

http://www.korkers.com/footwear/fishing.html

I have a pair of Scierra boots that had a very interesting sole that seems to work, Toe and heel were ridged Vibram but the centre part was a mixture of wire mesh and felt. These things gripped really well on all surfaces but I cant find a replacement. They also scratch car paint when placed on the roof!!

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #9 on: 04/01/2018 at 16:54 »
£180 ? sheesh! Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com