Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Rob Brownfield

The latest fishing wagon....
« on: December 15, 2017, 14:50:40 PM »
Cass has been looking to replace her beloved GT86 with a more practical car for the last 6 months. Because of where we live, a rear wheel drive beast with effectively 2 seats was perhaps not the ideal choice...although to be fair, its done bloody well.

She wanted something that was practical, could be used everyday, and more importantly, with plenty of room for camping and fishing gear.

So...off to the Mitsubishi garage for a weekends test drive of the Mitsubishi PHEV. Proper 4x4, alleged fantastic MPG (that was actually rubbish), good visibility and plenty of room....

So...finance looked into, service plan agreed (bloody good deal), trade in agreed, manufacturers contribution upped...cass finally picked up the new all singing all dancing practical car.

Here it is...

Last Edition WRX STi..and its brilliant!! We drove to Turriff on Saturday for winter wheels and tyres and even on standard kit it never had an issue on the roads despite going cross country on some serious snow and ice...and passing stuck vehicles.

Boot is HUGE and rubber lined, seats fold totally flat and gives more length and width than my A4 Avant.

Best bit..the numberplate ends in PKE :)
Ok, I admit it, I quite like this salmon fishing lark....

James Laraway

Re: The latest fishing wagon....
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 16:18:31 PM »
Ned alert 😜

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 21:33:53 PM »
Hey Rob,
Does she let you borrow her trousers for your work??  :z7

:z1
Living with deep, full breaths is the way of the trout. Fish, it seems, are the ultimate teachers in breathing.
RC Cone

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 13:04:37 PM »
My point was that she went from insisting we needed an electric car to save the world, and ended up with a car that does 25mpg on Super Unleaded only.

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 19:43:14 PM »
So the answer to Euans question is.... Yes  :z13
Never mind Rob, when you grow up maybe Cass will let you drive a proper car and not an Audi  :X2
Only joking, I'm sure the Audi is a very fine car. How are those trousers f Cass's  by the way  :z18
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience ;)

James Laraway

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 10:08:38 AM »
the upside being when your not fishing you can hang around down the beach boulevard.... :z13

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 11:55:10 AM »
Should try driving one, especially in the winter. Beats any 4x4 vehicle you can name on ice/compacted snow, slush and typical winter road conditions.

Bought for practicality, nothing else.

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 12:47:13 PM »
Should try driving one, especially in the winter.

A few years ago (well, quite a few now) Subaru had a special offer on the WRX hatch.... we came oh so very close to buying one as it was a great offer. Next year the road tax went up and now they're something like £520 to tax for a year :shock

I've driven a few Subarus and there's not much out there that can deal with seriously adverse weather/road conditions with the same panache. Just such a shame you bought an Audi Rob  :z7  :X2
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience ;)

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 11:46:48 AM »
www.flylineshop.com   At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Terry Coging

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 21:19:14 PM »
Brilliant vehicle. My neighbour who lives opposite has one that served in Normandy.  It's totally original except for the UK number plates.

Bill Wood

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 11:18:52 AM »
Seen the latest Bentley Bentayga with the fishing package? I couldn't afford the package never mind the car.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 16:24:16 PM »
Never had a 4x4 , never felt the need, even after 48 years of living here, probably the best car in the snow was my Renault 4 with Michelin ZX + Ms, it would go any where, even got a landy Bogged down after he followed me,  I carry some Plastic mesh to get me out of any thing extreme ( The heavy duty stuff) I even got our local cops using the same,   :z12 Derek Roxborough

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 08:07:36 AM »
Next year the road tax went up and now they're something like £520 to tax for a year :shock

Nope...£152 :) Tax has changed...

My Outback was circa £300 to tax.

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 08:50:26 AM »
Nope...£152 :) Tax has changed...
Encouraged by this I went and checked.... as I'm thinking it would be interesting to have one... the tax is indeed £520pa for the 2007-2011 era WRX. Possibly newer models fall into a different tax band  :z16

Dave Robb

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 09:24:39 AM »
Iím £20 per year for my supposedly evil 2.0l diesel.

† Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum

All content on this website is © copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk