Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Favourite photo or 'moment' from season 2017?
« on: 11/12/2017 at 21:04 »
Chances are there's a fishing moment you had during the season (or a photo, or both :!) that is particularly memorable, I thought it would make an interesting thread  :z16

I'll kick off.

The moment for me was when everything clicked for Euan on the Falls beat on the Beauly.
There's a longer story but the condensed version is everything just went absolutely as it 'should' (except for the netting which was a story previously covered) and the result was one happy chappie:

What was your 'moment' in 2017 :? Picture to share :?

H :wink

Liam Stephen

Re: Favourite photo or 'moment' from season 2017?
« Reply #1 on: 11/12/2017 at 22:03 »
So many great days with quality fish and good banter last season. I can’t pick just 1 highlight so here’s 2 from my top 3.

Ashley’s PB and first trophy trout. Late April on a day where things were strangely quiet. He had lost a trophy a short while earlier, before fluffing his cast which in turn saw him hook this brute.

The day of trophies with Sandy. April again and a new beat for me. I had just returned a trophy and went in search of the old chap. I just remember breaking the tree line, watching his nymph plop into a lovely run and then seeing the silly green wool slide away. The bamboo was immediately bent double and some fight followed. Several arse clenching moments trying to net the beast with some shouting and fist pumping shortly after.

A truly awesome season!

:z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 12/12/2017 at 11:24 »
Nice to let your mind wander back over the season on a chilly December morning Hamish :z16

Difficult choice, I really enjoyed my time up in the Assynt hills with Stewart, maybe the visit to Haddo as a customer with Brian, that was special and there was also the great road trip to the Annan with Sandy, Liam and Michael, setting up 'base camp', the coffee, the fishing ..........

But I think it has to be the one that got away. I hooked my largest trout for years on the Don, a truly awesome Brownie and I almost had it .... but I was up to my waist in water when the fish finally got a close up look at either me or the net, not something that it fancied apparently, as it tore off down the fast tail water and round a corner - I simply couldn't hold it or keep up - which resulted in the inevitable PING :z6

Sandy came back down to the pool a while later, got the full story and made me a cuppa to help stop the tears   :z4  :z4  :z4

Duncan McRae

« Reply #3 on: 12/12/2017 at 20:16 »
Highlight of my year was spotting a pair of Kingfishers,perched on a branch overhanging the river,while I fished on the Ardmurdo beat.
I had quite often seen a solitary bird over the years but never a pair.
Really made my day.

Duncan

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 12/12/2017 at 20:28 »
......... and it's great to have 'the eye' to notice them Duncan :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 12/12/2017 at 21:19 »
Highlight of my year was finally getting to fish with Andrew.
It was even better fun than expected, hopefully next time he gets himself one of our fish.

Most memorable fish of the year, was on Andrews final day, when after a week of everything the weather could think of, a rising fish was finally spotted. Not the biggest but definatley felt like the most hard won and definatley the most satisfying.

Didn't know i could jump that well, or move that fast :z4 :z4 :z4

Loads of other highlights, spent lots of time in great company  and saw many beautiful fish, may 2018 bring more of the same for all of us :z16

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 13/12/2017 at 09:21 »

Whilst I managed to catch some lovely fish this year, the highlight has to be a day on the Deveron with the "The Wormer".

The very first pool we came too, Liam spent some time explaining where the fish normally sat, what size bead to choose on my fly to get it down and even where to stand to get the best angle. So, as I was setting up, Liam nips in and catches a 3 pounder lol.  :X2 :X1

It was interesting to watch him working runs and glides and often putting flies into areas I would just walk past...and catching.   :z14 :z14

I also learnt that my rather expensive 4 weight was a pile of crap when it came to big fish and small flies as I pulled out of several fish.   :cry :cry

But the highlight had to be a pool that was very public, with dogs splashing about at the top, and a car park right next to the pool itself. "I'll just have a few chucks here" says Liam....  "Aye, good luck with that" thinks I......just as the dry fly dips below the surface with an audible "plop".

And the fish in the photo was the result, a 12oz  :wink beauty that went 4lbs+ on the scales. It was an awesome fight to behold with the bean pole bending and bucking as the fish twisted and turned. When it was finally netted and the folds of the net opened to reveal the true size, it made the whole day worth every moment.

I put some of what I learned that day into practice and fished areas of the Don where I normally just walked on past..and caught some lovely fish. Best dat was 5 x 2lbs + fish from a section of river that I had NEVER caught a fish from....and all because I was thinking about he water differently and fishing with confidence rather than just chucking flies at a bit of water.

Twas a cracking day on the river with Liam and that's why I choose the above photo.

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: 13/12/2017 at 09:22 »
Strange as it may seam one of my best sights was a young otter. Watched it playing in the river while heading up to my way. Watched it swimming under the water and was just under my feet. Could have touched it with my hand.
Bob.

James Craig

« Reply #8 on: 13/12/2017 at 10:07 »
When I caught my first, and only, 3lb+ fish. About 6 feet off the end of the rod tip on a very chewed up DHS - go figure.

Ashley Thomas

« Reply #9 on: 13/12/2017 at 10:11 »
2017 marked the first season on the river for me and what better way to spend it than with the "Young Gun" and Sandy amongst many others who provided great company and all of whom helped me find my bearings. I just wish Liam looked like his profile picture, there could have been much more fun to be had  :z4 :z4 :z4

I can't single out one favourite photo/moment/memory from this year so have compiled a few;

1) First visit to an upper Don beat with the two Liams. Can just remember him raising into the hefty slab of gold and it tearing off downstream. Cue the many failed attempts of netting it and falling in twice before he finally graced into the net. 4 1/2 lbs on the scales, a real spanker!

2) My current PB and very first trophy from the Deveron. Lost a fish just prior to this that would have potentially competed in size, but the tears quickly dried when this beauty was landed! The funny thing about this was that the cast that produced this fish was absolutely atrocious and to be honest should have not left the bank, never mind resulting in a PB!

3) Some of the days on the stillwaters with Liam proved to be the funniest and I have some hilarious memories. I have fond memories of seeing 7 fish landed in 7 casts when I caught him using squirms under a bung :z4

The photo below is of me with a nice brownie after we both collectively completed the "Stillwater Grand-Slam" (a Brookie, Brown and Bow all on the same water in the same session) - and no, squirmy worms were not harmed in the making!  :z12

Here's to the 2018 season to be a belter and tight lines to all!

Ash  :z16

Liam Stephen

« Reply #10 on: 13/12/2017 at 12:47 »
Ash I’ve never even seen a squirm and what is a bung!?  :z8  :X2

:z18

Euan Innes

« Reply #11 on: 13/12/2017 at 21:06 »
So many photos, so little time  :z4
I will start with this one

First day on the salt, Tarbetness and we both had this grin, despite the wind and rain.
Number two is H leaving it all to the last day to get a fish.

Never got a photo of the fish because it shot off as soon as it left the net  :z4 :z4 :z4.
Lastly, this

My little Kung Fu Panda with about £5k worth of gear on the rod rests just after it went off road for the first proper time. The Junction Pool, Upper Beauly where the Glass and the Farrar become the Beauly - just lovely!

The last real picture is in my head. The Hut pool on the Upper Beauly, thirty minutes before dusk, fell silent and the light was just magical. The upstream view to the mountains with Carn Moraig standing proud, bats flitting around, the sound of the river, the sound of the running line zipping out was all just perfect for a last day. Way more than a Kodak moment.
Tight lines next year guys. I can't wait!! :z18

:z1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com