Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

A year of Cane
« on: 21/11/2017 at 11:09 »
I have been MIA of late, but on this shitty day i thought i'd sit and go through some pictures as i look back on what has been one of the best.
Its been a rather mixed year for me (due to a variety of circumstances), but i did manage to stick to my pledge of only fishing Cane/bamboo for the whole year.
The season hit the ground running on the 15th of march and my old cane rod did the honours

This seemed to set the pace for the early season and my new for 2017 rod was ready in late march, so it took over and i fished it all year, a wee bit longer at 8ft 3" and boy does that 3" make a difference  :z4

The weather threw all sorts at us, but the boo didn't care. Neither did I  :z4

So trophy hunting was in business and it was a good business till about mid May

I was even a wee bit naughty with her at times  :oops

But she brought a new dimension to my fishing for the year, a feel and touch that was just that wee bit more special, i never felt undergunned and soon forgot that it was grass. It helped me subdue a good number of cracking fish on both Dry and Nymph.

Including, breaking a PB that has stood for 25 years :z18 (the wee band below the stipper guide is the 20" measurement mark :wink)

She provided a lovely backdrop for some close up fly pics

And generally made my shortened season (i fished hard from March to mid June, but only got out twice between then and the end of the season, due to a variety of reasons  :cry :cry) a lot more enjoyable

Next season is going to be more of the same, i doubt i will pick up a carbon rod to go fishing again. Its not for everyone, but for me it didn't just satisfy an addiction, it fuelled one :z7

Cheers :z18

Sandy

Mike Barrio

Re: A year of Cane
« Reply #1 on: 21/11/2017 at 11:45 »
Great stuff Sandy .... and some awesome photos too :z16

It's nice to see Boo being fished and enjoyed, that's what they're for :z12

« Reply #2 on: 21/11/2017 at 12:48 »
Great post, perfect photos for a day like this.

Liam Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 21/11/2017 at 18:02 »
Great post Sandy. That rod is f’ing awesome! Those fish ain’t bad either.  :z7

I agree carbon rods are for casting.

:z18

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #4 on: 23/11/2017 at 07:53 »
Cracking pics Sandy. Did you make the rod and what weight line are you using?

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 23/11/2017 at 08:24 »
Hi Kerry

This rod was made for me by Don Schroeder, to my spec and his own taper.
I have been fishing it with an SLX5 as the rod is a modified Payne 204H Taper and a strong 5wt.

Cheers

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 27/11/2017 at 08:45 »
Cracking bit of writing Sandy, thanks for sharing!

I will be endeavouring to follow suit next season, and I have set myself a target of only using a net across the river. Whilst I had some nice fish this year, I believe I will do better next ;) :)

Hamish Young

« Reply #7 on: 27/11/2017 at 18:15 »
I agree carbon rods are for casting.
I've hummed and hawed about posting in this thread, but Sandy didn't actually say that carbon rods are just for casting.... I think Liams enthusiasm probably wants moderating with this from Sandy earlier in the thread..... my bold and underlining :!

..... i doubt i will pick up a carbon rod to go fishing again. Its not for everyone, but for me it didn't just satisfy an addiction, it fuelled one :z7
There's the rub. What suits one angler does not necessarily suit the next, part of the fun of fishing for me has always been to go and try.  One lesson I have leant over seasons past (more than I care to admit) is that almost everyone finds their 'niche' or something that floats their boat; they'll talk with enthusiasm and knowledge on that element and sometimes at the expense of other truths.
I can't agree that carbon rods are just for casting like I can't agree that split cane rods are the ultimate representation of the fly rod for the river anglers art.
To do so would deny the truth that we are all enthusiasts with different interests and views on what makes each of us anglers. So I recognise and appreciate the lessons learnt from yesterdays technology that might go some way to making the technology of today and the future a better angler tomorrow than I am now  :wink

More on this later maybe.... junior says it's dinner time.....

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #8 on: 27/11/2017 at 19:34 »
A thoughtful and measured post IMHO.  We all love fishing or else we wouldn’t be on this site. We hear a lot about diversity these days in another context and fishing must be one of the most varied “sporting” activities going. We can enjoy fishing for tench or trout with float or fly, cane or carbon, or chuck out a hand line for mackerel from a boat.  Each to their own.
I use glass.......... :z13

Liam Stephen

« Reply #9 on: 27/11/2017 at 20:23 »
I've hummed and hawed about posting in this thread, but Sandy didn't actually say that carbon rods are just for casting.... I think Liams enthusiasm probably wants moderating with this from Sandy earlier in the thread..... my bold and underlining :!
There's the rub. What suits one angler does not necessarily suit the next, part of the fun of fishing for me has always been to go and try.  One lesson I have leant over seasons past (more than I care to admit) is that almost everyone finds their 'niche' or something that floats their boat; they'll talk with enthusiasm and knowledge on that element and sometimes at the expense of other truths.
I can't agree that carbon rods are just for casting like I can't agree that split cane rods are the ultimate representation of the fly rod for the river anglers art.
To do so would deny the truth that we are all enthusiasts with different interests and views on what makes each of us anglers. So I recognise and appreciate the lessons learnt from yesterdays technology that might go some way to making the technology of today and the future a better angler tomorrow than I am now  :wink

More on this later maybe.... junior says it's dinner time.....

It’s an inside joke Hamish. Something me and Sandy often talk about.   :wink

But yes I love Glass....  :z4

:z18

Andrew Ellis

« Reply #10 on: 01/12/2017 at 15:14 »
1st visit for a very long time! :oops Fabulous post Sandy, I even recognise one or two of those photo's.. :z4 I've promised myself I'll fish that David Norwich boo rod more next year, just wish there was a little more to the handle.  The various glass rods you've built me, bring me joy on an almost daily basis during the season, as you well know matey.

Andrew

Kerry Jordan

« Reply #11 on: 02/12/2017 at 19:52 »
I second that! Sandy has built me 3 stunning Epic glass rods which give me a lot of pleasure and are a joy to cast. And Mrs Nelson's rod bags are uber cool!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com