Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Stephen Kennedy

synthetic salmon flies
« on: 13/11/2017 at 13:13 »
Being new to fly tying  and in particular salmon flies, I suppose I have a fundamental question.  If  such a fly as the willie gun for instance is meant to  imitate a river dwelling  fish then why do we not see flies that actually resemble the same and tied with synthetic materials such as SF blend and given eyes as bait fish patterns are often tied with?  What prompts this question is that I have recently tied  a Martins Minnow with SF blend for use on a trout river and  it looks so realistic ....unlike a lot of the well known salmon patterns??

Rob Brownfield

Re: synthetic salmon flies
« Reply #1 on: 13/11/2017 at 13:36 »
I have tied "Rapala" imitations using PikeSkinz and EP Fibre but have not had the guts to fish them!

My plan was to fish them on a Skagit system to get them down.

I also have a few tied up using the Fish Spine links and a fluffy cheneille, marked up with marker pens.

These were tied for Pike but I soon realised they will make ideal Salmon "lures".

The biggest issue is hook placement and number of hooks.

Not my fly, but you can see what is possible when dressed the same style as "A Gamechanger" fly . Dressed to be "9cm and slim" you can basically recreate the best lure ever invented for Salmon.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 13/11/2017 at 21:44 »
the willie gunn is more of a shrimp type of fly ,look at the General Practitioner and the cascade types, the early full dressed salmon flies with the exception of the Durham Ranger seemed to imitate nothing that lived in a river,   and the DR was a shrimp type fly , Salmon don't eat in the rivers, Derek Roxborough

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 14/11/2017 at 08:20 »
Salmon don't eat in the rivers, Derek Roxborough

But they do hit Rapalas :)

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 14/11/2017 at 15:27 »
just cos yer annoying them , like swatting midgies  :z13 Derek Roxborough

Liam Stephen

« Reply #5 on: 14/11/2017 at 18:35 »
If Salmon don’t eat in rivers can anyone explain why I catch them on dead drifted nymphs? The usual answer for that is ‘oh it’s just acting on instinct’. If I was swinging the flies then maybe that would be fair enough......

However I had one a couple of years back that was sitting steadily rising to BWO in September. I caught it on a dead dead drifted size 16 plume tip.

They definitely do feed in rivers.

:z18

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 14/11/2017 at 19:33 »
argue with the experts, that is the conventional wisdom, about actual feeding , their stomachs atrophy when they come into fresh water, salmon feed in stanks when they were put in as fry and then they rise to a fly, putting on about 2lb in 3 years,but these ones had never been in salt water, they still retained the parr marks, so essentially they were still immature,  , Derek Roxborough

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 15/11/2017 at 08:56 »
They definitely do feed in rivers.

I would change that slightly...

"They definitely take flies"

They do not have the capacity to digest food thanks to ...wait for it...gonadal development within their bodies. The stomach shrinks leaving more room for the development of eggs and milt. basically.

So, although they are taking nymphs and dries, as we have probably all seen, they cannot digest and therefore are not "feeding".

I am not sure about Kelts. I do wonder if they are starting to get the feeding ability back. Certainly look way more kelts on nymphs than salmon flies in the spring.

Perhaps its time to tie a size 16 tungsten bead Cascade ;)

James Laraway

« Reply #8 on: 15/11/2017 at 10:03 »
Hi Rob,

that fly you posted looks amazing ! Do you know what the body material was ? I have some fish spines and woudl love to try tying some..

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 15/11/2017 at 12:55 »
Hi Rob,

that fly you posted looks amazing ! Do you know what the body material was ? I have some fish spines and woudl love to try tying some..

I do...but it will cost you £100 for the info..lol

Here you go https://flymenfishingcompany.com/products/chockletts-body-wrap

And here is the man himself...

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #10 on: 16/11/2017 at 09:11 »
Used to use a zonker thing made from rabbit fur. It certainly worked especially in the slower water near the bank. Only problem it was like casting when a bat takes your fly. A favourite fly for the low water is a size 10 long shank hook with a gold bead green fritz body and a longish black marabou tail..
Get the summer fish usually when trout fishing on 12 and size 14  flies like partridge and gold.
Salmon as far as I know do not read books.
Bob.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com