Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Stocked salmon in small fishery?
« on: 08/11/2017 at 17:48 »
Just learnt that the trout fishery that we are fishing on Friday have stocked some salmon.  I don't see why not but will they be catchable? I would assume that they would just lie doggo in a freshwater pond?...or maybe a pellet fly will get them moving :z8

Derek Roxborough

Re: Stocked salmon in small fishery?
« Reply #1 on: 08/11/2017 at 20:45 »
our club stocked salmon fry in to a stank , after 3 years they were about 11/2-2lb, and catchable if you remembered to let them take , these could be caught any where on this stank, so they were moving about, they were good fun to catch , we released them , but some one thought it would be ok to empty the stank and came down with a bagful, that was the end of that, some people cant help themselves , or perhaps that's the problem they do help them selves, but while they were there they were fun to catch, there is another loch with them in up to about 4 or 5lb but that is a trade secret, :X2  Derek Roxborough

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 09/11/2017 at 09:09 »
Been tried in a few commercial fisheries over the years.

I think the most famous is Palm Springs Fishery in Englandshire  http://palmspringssalmon.co.uk/

I seem to recall a lot of criticism that the fish were in poor condition and very expensive to fish for.

the one in the video at the end ($:13) is a bit...well...meh!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 09/11/2017 at 09:10 »
But these ones from last year look a bit nicer

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 09/11/2017 at 12:28 »
The Palm springs fishery was a race way type with a current,and the salmon were stocked out at a fairly large size, our club one was a peaty stank( Eisen mort) with a good head of water lilies and a nesting pair of red throated divers,yet these fish survived for at least 3 years, Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com