Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Derek Roxborough

Re: Tuna anyone? Get your 13 weights out!!
« Reply #1 on: 04/11/2017 at 19:19 »
they used to be fished for out of Scarborough, in 16ft rowing boats, with a  Scarborough reel and a Greenhart rod, Eric Horsefall Turner mentions it in his book Anglers Cavalcade, it was very popular until the Danes stared netting for them, they used to follow the Herring into the North Sea,Derek Roxborough

Dave Felce

« Reply #2 on: 05/11/2017 at 09:22 »
http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/tunny-action

i've got a canoe, Rob... :z4

i think i'm correct in saying you can get sport-fishing charters off the west coast of ireland?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 06/11/2017 at 08:48 »
http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/tunny-action

i've got a canoe, Rob... :z4

i think i'm correct in saying you can get sport-fishing charters off the west coast of ireland?

You can indeed, and I believe this season they have done quite well.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 06/11/2017 at 08:50 »
they used to be fished for out of Scarborough, in 16ft rowing boats, with a  Scarborough reel and a Greenhart rod, Eric Horsefall Turner mentions it in his book Anglers Cavalcade, it was very popular until the Danes stared netting for them, they used to follow the Herring into the North Sea,Derek Roxborough

I have tried finding the video that shows 600-800lb tuna taking free offerings under a boat in the 1920's off of Scarbourgh. They then hook a fish that turns the boat on the spot, before heading off into the wild blue yonder, followed by the "mother ship". All on cane rods and wooden reels :)

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 06/11/2017 at 16:20 »
 Those were the days Rob,I think Turner mentions Greenhart as well but the scarborough reels were   famous, Derek Roxborough

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #6 on: 07/11/2017 at 03:33 »
Rob,

If I am reading the article correctly they are suggesting that a 300kg Tuna managed to get through the net but the subsequent hole left in the net did not allow any pellet pigs to escape?  :z8

:z18

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 07/11/2017 at 12:08 »
Rob,

If I am reading the article correctly they are suggesting that a 300kg Tuna managed to get through the net but the subsequent hole left in the net did not allow any pellet pigs to escape?  :z8

Steven.

I got the impression the thing leapt in rather than through a hole. Some surprise though!!!

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #8 on: 08/11/2017 at 03:33 »
Rob,

"It seems to have burst through the foot of the pen like a torpedo," he said.

"The hole the tuna made was more like a slash than a round hole and we called in divers who repaired it within a few hours."

So a 300kg Tuna created a hole big enough for it to pass through but salmon could not escape through it?   :X2

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 08/11/2017 at 09:36 »
Rob,

"It seems to have burst through the foot of the pen like a torpedo," he said.

"The hole the tuna made was more like a slash than a round hole and we called in divers who repaired it within a few hours."

So a 300kg Tuna created a hole big enough for it to pass through but salmon could not escape through it?   :X2

Ahhh...how the hell did I miss that!!!

You have to remember that Salmon are like a well trained gun dog....you just whistle and they come back...honest ;)

Steven.

Ross Errington

« Reply #10 on: 08/11/2017 at 11:20 »
I was shark fishing off Lands End in early October and we saw two Tuna circling and attacking prey on the surface.  Skipper at first thought we had a small whale nearby due to the size of the disturbance.  He estimated the larger fish at 800lb.
No fishing for them yet allowed due to no allocation of a quota - skippers words

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com