Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Duncan McRae

Re: decline in flying insects.
« Reply #1 on: 28/10/2017 at 10:52 »
Very worrying.
The evening rises are so short these days.Back in the late 70s early 80s you would regularly get a good couple of hours on the dry fly  throughout the summer months on the Don.
These days you  are lucky to get a half hour rise with many evenings when there are no trout surface feeding.

Duncan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 30/10/2017 at 12:06 »
Its interesting as we have huge insect swarms where we are. The car is forever covered in the buggers and if we open the door at night, we get a hall way of insects. I left the bathroom window open Friday night and Saturday the bathroom was covered in insects.

I would say this year I have never seen so many flying beasties....and we get all sorts.

Bob Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: 31/10/2017 at 09:22 »
I would say that this season I have seen even less bug life than last season.
Saw a single yellow sally this summer and it reminded me how in a late afternoon there would be hundreds dancing up and down. Fishing the evening rise [that's a joke] one counts the number of rises one sees.
Dryflys hardly ever used.
Sad.
Bob.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 04/11/2017 at 15:41 »
I worked for SNH for a while, there was a moth trap on the reserve  on the go 24/7/365,some of the moths were scarce types , but it didn't stop the trap,not only was it catching moths but a lot of other night fliers as well, I managed to Identify 4 different sedges,and at least one moth on the reserve was on the European red list, luckily it was a day flier, I know this was only one trap in one place, but the overall impact at the reserve must have been  quite heavy, we had rare Dragonflies there as well , and as insect eaters this must have impacted on them, I have watched Dragonflies catching and earing Magpie moths, and seeing them catching upwings as well, so every thing has a knock on effect, no such thing as a free lunch, Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com