Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kev Danby

Breathables
« on: 26/11/2007 at 12:41 »
I'm looking to but a pair of breathable chest waders anyone got any recommendations??

I've been looking at the Greys GRX £150 with boots are they any good.

Also I seem to recall when ordering the boots you need a pair two sizes bigger than your usual shoe size is this correct.

Thanks in advance for any help

Kev

Sandy Nelson

Re: Breathables
« Reply #1 on: 26/11/2007 at 17:10 »
Kev

Quite a few in the sportfish clearance sale, dont know what type you want but there are some pretty good ones at pretty good prices.

Sandy

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 26/11/2007 at 17:26 »
Kev

I have Scierra Breathables, which leaked after a while , re the boots you really have to try them on some laready have an allowance built in , I.E. if you are an 9 shoe get a size 9. Some you need 1 size up some 2.

Cheers

Jim   

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 27/11/2007 at 08:13 »
I still have not found a set of waders that does not leak after a season  :cry I was down in London last week and popped into a new fly fishing shop called Grangers. (if you are in London you have to go in by!) He recommended the Vision Extremes. I believe they are around the £200 mark.

I have used Redball and  Wychwood and both leaked  :mad

stickleback

« Reply #4 on: 27/11/2007 at 18:54 »
For the last season I've been using Orvis Clearwater Endura which I'm very pleased with and no leaks yet.  I got mine in the sale at Orvis in Banchory for £100 - I think their normal price is £125.  I teamed them up with Korkers Wetlands boots (£75) which I got one size larger than my normal shoe size and they fit perfectly - any larger and I think I'd be stepping out of them.  Good luck with whatever you chose. 

goosander

« Reply #5 on: 27/11/2007 at 20:28 »
Have been usuing Snowbee without any problems and find them easier to walk in than thigh boots, but would never buy there boots again

Peter McCallum

« Reply #6 on: 27/11/2007 at 22:07 »
I have a pair of vision flyweight waders some 8 seasons old which only started to leak last year after a season or twos tubing. they are superb for walking/fishing  and I cant rate them highly enough

tarric

« Reply #7 on: 05/12/2007 at 09:36 »
Hi Folks
   I've got a pair of simms guide stocking foot teamed with a pair of orvis clearwater boot I've been wearing for 3 years with no leaks
bought them from the states for about £200 even cheeper now

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 05/12/2007 at 09:44 »
Must admit I'm waiting for the 'January Sales' to see if any breathables in my 'manly' size come up for grabs at the right price, although my Snowbee neoprenes have been 100% reliable (can't say the same for the boots :roll ) they're a wee bit too much for anything other than spring/autumn on the river and float tubing, need something for the 'summer' and for wandering the river bank comfortably.
Trouble is seems I'm limited to boot foot waders as most wading boots don't come in my size (need a UK 14 to cope with my UK 13 feet :cry) wonder if it might just be cheaper to get my feet cut down in size  :z7

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 05/12/2007 at 11:23 »
Well, I have just bought a set of breathables for £60  :z7

I had the Wychwood all season waders that had a lower half of neoprene and an upper of breathable material. The neoprene leaked, was repaired, leaked etc etc but the tops never gave me a problem..sooo..when i saw the new Wychwood breathables in Bill Bains i decided to buy them as they were cheaper than the stocking foot Neoprenes in the shop.

I have been most impressed. They have a double lower leg to help with vegatation plus a padded knee area with puncture proof backing so no more leaking knees when I kneel down to unhook fish, replaceable braces, can be rolled down and worn as trousers, come in there own stuff sack, pack down to the size of a large shoe box and were supprisingly warm to wear.

£119 with boots, £60 on there own..go upto size XXXL..mine are Medium and i take size 9's

Dutchfly

« Reply #10 on: 05/12/2007 at 18:48 »
Hi Kev,

I've had my Simms Gore Tex for almost 10 years now. Had a very small leak in one of the seams after two years. The waders were send to the States by my flyshop, repaired and returned free of charge. Never had a problem since. Not cheap, but worth every penny, in my book  :z16 .

CU

Jeroen

Kev Danby

« Reply #11 on: 06/12/2007 at 09:00 »
Thanks for all the info. With breathables and boots I'm a tad reluctant to buy online as i would prefer to try them on. The Greys GRX look a good offer but I have seen a couple of reccomendation for the orvis ones.

I'm in Inverness this weekend and Banchory the weekend after so may pop into a tackle shop or two for a look

Cheers

Kev

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com