Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Howard & Stuart

The talk down Lochter way last week was the terrific sport being had with fish in the 4 – 8 lb category being caught on a regular basis. Many anglers spoke about being ‘broken’ by even bigger fish and there was a general air of anticipation with every cast, as a result. In the bothy afterwards there was much merriment and rolling of eyes, as these stories of loss were re-told. It reminded me of a fishing poem from my youth, a verse of which went:- ‘Sometimes it was rusty hooks, sometimes the fragile lines, and many times the treacherous reeds would foil my just designs, but whether hooks or lines or reeds were actually to blame, I kept right on at losing all the monsters just the same, I never lost a little fish – yes, I am free to say, it always was the bigger fish I caught that got away!’ I think we have all been in that position at one time and it’s the challenge that keeps us going.

With the consistent mild weather of last week it was once more a case of anything goes and those who were willing to adapt or interpret what they saw happening on the water doing particularly well. 

A lot of double figure results were recorded in the returns book and Peter Green on two visits had over 20 fish and 12 fish respectively on the PTN and GRHE, Steve Prince fresh from representing Lochter at the Troutmaster Final at Draycote where he did particularly well finishing in the top third, had two outings and caught 25 and 17 fish using crunchers, humungus and cormorants. Bill Wood fished buzzers and blobs to good effect bringing 17 fish to the net. Graham Duthie used a range of black lures to get 16 fish and keeping with the black theme, Albert Trail had 13 fish on a black WSW. Dave MacKay skilfully worked a pair of buzzers and was rewarded with 17 fish the biggest being a lovely 8 lb specimen, and Karen Gillies from Huntly also used a buzzer to land 12 fish.

Neil Scower had 11 fish for his day, one being 7 ½ lb, using a black fritz and Robert Swan had 10 fish on different coloured WSW’s.

The ‘Halloween Pairs’ competition takes place on Sunday the 29th October at Lochter. If you want to enter make sure you contact the bothy on 01651 872787 to secure your place. If you wish to enter but do not have a pairs partner then leave your name and telephone number with the bothy staff and they’ll pair you up for the event. Entry fee is £20 each and there are plenty of prizes to be won. It is a very friendly and popular event so don’t delay enter today!

Tight Lines
SP 17/109/17

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com