Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

When it all comes together...
« on: 08/10/2017 at 11:32 »
Let me tell you a story. It's a true story and, as I type, it all happened yesterday.

Whilst coming back from darkest Englandshire I got a message from Mike to say that he was popping a couple of prototype lines in the post. Knowing I have new toys to play with is always good news and as a part of the Barrio Pro-Team I was particularly keen to my mitts on one of the lines which (I'm sure Mike would admit :!) I have been pestering him to have made for some time.

Also knowing full well that Mike always sends his lines first class post I  expected them to arrive in the Saturday post but I also knew that by the time the box arrived Euan and I would already be fishing on the Upper Beauly. So I hatched a plan.... she who must be obeyed was tasked with bringing the lines (if they did arrive)  up to the fishing hut at lunchtime. The lines arrived and she brought the lines to the hut.....
With Euans help (with a very cool toy from Rio) one line was whipped off a reel and the prototype ISS line went on, hastily a braided loop was popped on the front and after lunch it was straight out onto the river.

The line was good. Very good. It matched my Mackenzie FX1 beautifully.  Then it all came together with a thundering take from a lively cock fish of about 9lbs which was landed after a spectacular battle. No pics of the fish, Euan and I were too busy putting it back, but here is one of me in unadulterated smug mode. New rod, new line all christened. I love it when a plan comes together.

Mike Barrio

Re: When it all comes together...
« Reply #1 on: 08/10/2017 at 12:07 »
Great stuff Hamish ...... looks like your concept for the new line works then :z16
I can see it finding it's way into the range :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 08/10/2017 at 18:57 »
What Mike said  :z4

:z18

Jim

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 08/10/2017 at 20:50 »
Aye, it did go out really nicely and fished round perfectly. No wake and just a smidge deeper than I thought it would go, perfect.
The fish was in great condition for October and gave a good account of itself, swimming away strongly when returned to the water.
Yesterday was the perfect fishing day - not windy, nothing more than the odd shower, calm and peaceful. The kind of day that you could just go on fishing. Unfortunately they were generating upstream on the Glass and the river came up, with a lot more push, by 18" in a very short time so we got out and stayed out. The gauge went from 1'6" to submerged in less than an hour with the river still running clear, just with added foam and twigs!
Brilliant day for an end of season blast.
Mike, you better make sure that these lines come in 32 grams  :cool: :z14

:z1

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 09/10/2017 at 09:33 »
i dont know what i am more impressed with Hamish. The fact you have an FX1 or the fact that you have Mrs Hamish so well trained that she will deliver a new flyline to a bothy !

As i now work from home i cant do 'stealth purchases' any more as i cant get them sent to work then smuggle them into the house  :X2

Travis Jones

« Reply #5 on: 09/10/2017 at 10:01 »
Totally great, Hamish! Indeed, everything did go as planned.

Hamish Young

« Reply #6 on: 09/10/2017 at 18:14 »
i dont know what i am more impressed with Hamish. The fact you have an FX1 or the fact that you have Mrs Hamish so well trained that she will deliver a new flyline to a bothy !

As i now work from home i cant do 'stealth purchases' any more as i cant get them sent to work then smuggle them into the house  :X2

Aye, in both cases (rod and wife) a good choice was made James  :z13  :z16

H

Travis Jones

« Reply #7 on: 13/10/2017 at 05:40 »
Aye, in both cases (rod and wife) a good choice was made James  :z13  :z16

H

Yup, a type of choice that all men want to make.  :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com