Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Paul Black

Starter Kit for a 12 year old.....
« on: 28/09/2017 at 11:59 »
Hi all,

I'm returning to the forum after a 10+ year absence as my son has suddenly caught the fly fishing bug. He's 12 years old and I've taken him to Lochter for the last couple of weekends which he has thoroughly enjoyed (and had some early success!) The problem is, he's using my 8/9 weight 9ft 9" Symetre rod and I think he's struggling with the size and weight.

Could I ask for some advice on what the best kit for him would be as I have no idea. I started fishing as an adult, so don't have a reference point.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Rob Brownfield

Re: Starter Kit for a 12 year old.....
« Reply #1 on: 28/09/2017 at 12:44 »
Orvis do a rod/reel/line kit called the Encounter for £159

Starts with an 8' 6" 5 weight and goes up from there.

well balanced kits and they are the ones the guys use at the shop for teaching, including kids. I have had a chuck about with them and they are great, and pretty decent quality.

I have a couple of the encounter reels that used to be sold separately and I use them for when clambering over rocks as they are a composite construction and don't get scratched.

http://www.orvis.co.uk/encounter-fly-rods

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 28/09/2017 at 13:29 »
started My Granddaughter with a Shakespeare 7ft 3wt , super rod and well liked, Derek Roxborough

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 29/09/2017 at 02:29 »
At 12 years old he should be able to get on just fine with a 9' 5# which would probably be the best all rounder for him.

Light enough to handle fine tippets for dries and buzzers but with enough backbone to cast lures.

Something from the Shakespeare stable would get my vote for starting out https://www.anglingactive.co.uk/shakespeare-sigma-fly-combo.html

Though it may be best to bin the line and buy one of Mike's SLX's. Nice easy line to load and shoot  :z16

:z18

Steven.

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 29/09/2017 at 16:16 »
after taking Children fishing many times and seeing them struggle with a heavier  rod even a 5wt , I opted to recommend lighter rods, young wrists aren't always up to it, I took a family group out where the Edinburgh tackle shop had recommended 7wt rods even for a 7yr old, they were fed up after the first hour,I do use  a 5wt my self but I reckon for young people it's just on the cusp,My Granddaughter was 11 when I got her the rod, and she still likes it, but I may get her a step up, an 8 ft 4wt, Derek Roxborough

Travis Jones

« Reply #5 on: 05/10/2017 at 08:10 »
At 12 years old he should be able to get on just fine with a 9' 5# which would probably be the best all rounder for him.

Light enough to handle fine tippets for dries and buzzers but with enough backbone to cast lures.

Thanks, Steven! I will take note of this as well.

Fred Hay

« Reply #6 on: 08/10/2017 at 10:00 »
Re your starter kit - just received an Autumn Sale leaflet from John Norris with a couple of adverts that might be of interest.
Guideline EXP4 rods 7' 6'' wt 3, 8' 6''wt 4 and 9' 0'' wt 5 priced at £49.99, £49.99 and £54.99 respectively
or
Shakespeare Agility rods 6' 0'' wt 3, 8' 0'' wt 4, 8' 6'' wt 4 priced at £19.99, £24.99 and £24.99 respectively

Both great value that you can't go wrong with - especially for a beginner/youngster.

PS: I bought a couple of Agility rods a few years ago and have found them excellent value for the money.  Took them to Alaska for silver salmon and they took quite a bit of abuse, no problem and would recommend them without hesitation.

Dave Robb

« Reply #7 on: 08/10/2017 at 10:24 »
Looking through the John Norris sale, I thought these rods look interesting.

https://www.johnnorris.co.uk/john-norris-p3-fly-rods-plus-a-free-p3-fly-line.html

I would take the RRP with a pinch of salt, but the 7’ 3# looks nice at £39.99.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com