Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Do Orvis sell fishing tackle?
« on: 24/09/2017 at 14:14 »
Just back from a family trip to the US where I was hoping to secure a nice rod, maybe a Sage.
The nearest tackle dealer was Orvis of Indianopolis.  My family dropped me off outside and gave me an hour while they went off to (for them) look in the more interesting shops.  Orvis looked big and impressive from the outside, as it did on the inside - but wait a minute, where is the fishing tackle? Half an acre of boutique hid the rack of rods tucked away at the back. Only Orvis stocked so walked out. OK Orvis stuff is good but I wanted choice. Anyway, that gave me 55 minutes to waste. I spied the Fish Market on the opposite side of the road. A great bar/restaurant with a super display of game fish  on the walls.  So a well invested 55 minutes :wink

Hamish Young

Re: Do Orvis sell fishing tackle?
« Reply #1 on: 24/09/2017 at 18:17 »
You didn't seriously expect to find a Sage rod in an Orvis shop..... did you :? :z4

Orvis in its domestic market is very much a lifestyle brand and by and large they only stock their own kit.

In the UK the market is different and most of the Orvis shops hold equipment from other brands where local requirements mean they're stocked, but you would never find a Sage or a Winston in an Orvis store on either side of the pond.

It would be a bit like walking into an exclusively Ford dealer and demanding to buy a new Vauxhall......

Terry Coging

Re: Do Orvis sell fishing tackle?
« Reply #2 on: 24/09/2017 at 19:52 »
OK a bit naive there but even so, just a fashion retail trap and the first one listed in tackle dealers locally.
I found another store, where my family dropped me off for an hour.  Yey! not many clothes but LOTS of rods. Orvis  :z6, Hardy, Sage, Loomis etc. Very welcome by the owner and had a great in shop experience. Problem was that from all of those rods they did not have a 10' #5.  It was either up to 9' or on to longer switch rods. So i assumed that loch style or versatile lake rods are not seen as useful in this State. Mind you, after browsing the 'aviary' of fly selections, it is hardly surprising. Managed to buy a pair of pants before the wife came in looking for me  :z13
The owner and staff said that Sage were not popular locally - it was all about Loomis.  Big racks of both, so no push.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com