Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Crichton

Loch Vrotachan
« on: 25/09/2017 at 14:58 »
Anyone ever fished Loch Vrotachan? I've wanted to fish it for a few years but never made it yet..........

Ben

James Craig

Re: Loch Vrotachan
« Reply #1 on: 26/09/2017 at 10:40 »
Hi Ben,

I fished it twice last year - it is a bonnie spot and is only a short 30 min hike up and over the top from the Glenshee car park. You can do a lap of the loch working from the bank in a summer's afternoon.

On one occasion there was a serious northerly wind, amplified by the howe that the loch sits in. I imagine it is fairly sheltered during southerlies. There were still fish to be caught on wet fly tactics at the head of the wind. The second outing was a calmer summer's eve, with the occasional fish rising amongst the weeds at the eastern end by the hut. Wading is possible, particularly at this end, which might help getting a better angle of attack if it is seriously windy.

Fish were few and far between on both visits, but I did managed one at 14" which I was chuffed with - a mean looking chap with a pronounced kype. I suspect he was a fairly old fish!

I'd be up for coming along if you are needing to go through a Ballater Angling Association member (who have the lease on the loch).

James

Ben Crichton

Re: Loch Vrotachan
« Reply #2 on: 26/06/2018 at 20:05 »
Sorry I have never replied to this sooner. The birth of my son put everything back a bit😂.

Thank you James for your kind offer, hopefully one day I can take you up on it! I have only we a line once so far this year sadly, spare time is something of a rarity at the moment! I am hoping to get out to Loch Brandy in August when we have a couple of weeks off, so hopefully be posting some results on here!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com