Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Massive price hike on equipment
« on: 24/08/2017 at 10:31 »
I ordered a rod wrapper from a well known company the other day, cost was £302 plus P&P.

Received an email today saying the price had not been updated on the website and that I needed to make up the difference. New price, £432.

Needless to say I asked for a refund.

The frustrating thing is I spoke to them on the phone and asked a few questions about the product and the price was confirmed at £302 the day before.

Anyone know of another supplier of rod wrappers and driers in the UK besides a company that rhymes with Rides n Thanks?

Hamish Young

Re: Massive price hike on equipment
« Reply #1 on: 24/08/2017 at 11:09 »
Bummer  :shock

I see they've updated the price now but, as you spoke to them on the 'phone the day before, I'm pretty shocked they didn't honour the price as advertised and discussed  :X7

I don't know of another supplier, but I'll keep a sharp lookout  :z5

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 24/08/2017 at 11:21 »
Good point .... they really should have honoured that price IMHO :z6

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 24/08/2017 at 12:25 »
Good point .... they really should have honoured that price IMHO :z6

Mine too, they are usually good to deal with as well! i guess they suddenly realised they had to order it from the US and with the current conversion rates, realised it was going to cost them money!

Not sure who this is and i'm guessing at what you were ordering, but maybe this works out?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/American-Tackle-Power-Fishing-Rod-Wrapper-220V-Rod-Building-UK-Supplier-/282600358876?epid=2087539734&hash=item41cc4b43dc:g:KwcAAOSw4GVYPfUC

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 24/08/2017 at 15:00 »
Mine too, they are usually good to deal with as well! i guess they suddenly realised they had to order it from the US and with the current conversion rates, realised it was going to cost them money!

Not sure who this is and i'm guessing at what you were ordering, but maybe this works out?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/American-Tackle-Power-Fishing-Rod-Wrapper-220V-Rod-Building-UK-Supplier-/282600358876?epid=2087539734&hash=item41cc4b43dc:g:KwcAAOSw4GVYPfUC

Sandy

Hi Sandy. That link is to Chris Orme, an extremely well known rod builder down south.  Already in contact with him. The American Tackle version is almost identical to the one I was looking at, except a different thread carriage system. Not so keen on it..but needs must. I have a few beach casters to re-furb for someone and he wants under wrapped guides...all 15 of them! Turning by hand is not an option!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 24/08/2017 at 17:13 »
Would the pac-bay wrapper carriage fit the same bed? (mine looks identical to the one in the picture)

I never use mine as i wrap by hand and don't like using the machine for it, although if i had to do salmon rods or beach casters i might change my mind on that. I use the machine as a lathe for cork and inserts.

So i could lend you the carriage if it would fit :z16 although if it is identical, then what would be the point?

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 28/08/2017 at 08:08 »
Hi Sandy,
I think the Alps, PacBay, American Tackle and...I can't remember the last one...but they are all the same product with different stickers.

Many thanks for the offer though.

Cheers
Rob

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com