Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Peter Davidson

We had not been idle ALL summer with a "nearly" day out at Dunlichity   some time ago now - I nearly caught my first fly caught trout but due to my incompetence it escaped. The rest of that day was spent with fish doing exactly what a lot of other contributors on this site also reported around then. They were extracting the urine! They danced about, nudged the fly, stuck their noses out of the water. Anything but get hooked. So I didn't feel so bad after that non event as I knew there were fellow sufferers and those pesky trout were not specifically targeting the Absolute Beginner.

Sunday past and Day Release was keen for another day out so we headed off early to Glen of Rothes. A choice made more by weather than fishing. We'd considered the wonderful Loch Lagg again but it promised overcast sultry warmth mixed with drizzle - midge heaven. Maybe some would relish the thought of all that surface feeding frenzy but we live here in the west and have far too much respect for the midge to muscle into their turf!!!!!

Rothes was surrounded by fluffy clouds, a fair breeze and some sunshine and was a bit busier than other fisheries we'd been to but there was plenty room. Good banter and lots of advice preceded our walk out to the W shaped fly loch with neatly cut grass and everything looking very tidy. We decided to walk to the head of the middle leg of the W as that, to us, looked the best option for any wind variations. Not a lot of ripples from surface feeding but never mind - we were as keen as ever and soon had traditional dry flies tied on and tempting the residents.

There were a party of about four over the bank from us fishing an outside leg of the W and they were into fish with joyous shouts and much enthusiasm - we were still wondering if we'd picked the wrong spot. A change of fly for both of us - I put on a red and black buzzer - chosen by my inner zen fishing intuition rather than any firm fishing knowledge but it made me feel more confident and that always helps. Especially when Day Release started catching fish - with monotonous regularity. After four in under thirty minuets I felt a nibble, struck - and missed. Bummer!! Quickly I cast into the same area and once again, nibble, wait, another nibble...........pull. This time I had it and it WAS going to be landed.

And so it was. A lovely 2lb rainbow trout. I had finally done it!!!!!!! Day Release was quick with the camera to record history and back we turned to our efforts. By lunch I had another nice fish of similar size whilst Day Release was in Trawler mode with 7 good fish. Looking around we decided to lunch in situ rather than vacate our now comfortable stance as we were far from finished for the day and the breeze was at times troublesome for some but for us it was directly from the rear.

The afternoon proved to be as entertaining as the morning. Quite a few nibbles without follow through for us and also the party over the way. Changing flies every so often seemed to increase the interest from fish and by the middle of the afternoon I brought in my 3rd fish of the day, another 2lb rainbow. But the glory must go to Day Release, 13 fish in all for the day - a personal best for him also.

All in all it was a wonderful day and will stay in my memory for a long long time. On reflection, I have no idea what I did differently than I had tried the so many many times before so my conclusion is as follows;
I will remain the Absolute Beginner!

Mike Barrio

Great stuff Peter :z16

Hamish Young

Super Peter - delighted it has all come together for you  :z13 :z16 :z18

Derek Roxborough

Tollaidh has been fishing well Peter, :X2 Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com