Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Loch Alvie - Esox Lucius
« on: 22/08/2017 at 09:39 »
Couple of weekends ago I helped out a chum who needed someone to guide some visitors after Pike on Loch Insh and Loch Alvie - I couldn't be in two places at the same time so I elected to take one rod out on Loch Alvie which has quite a reputation as a prime Pike water and a place I had not previously fished.

For many complicated reasons my guest for the day and I were only to have 2.5 hours fishing together - no pressure then :!

The excellent boat and electric outboard we had was hired from the Alvie estate where the party were staying, this probably explains why it was possible to get on Alvie to fish as the water is reserved for Alvie Estate guests and members of the Inverness Pike Angling Club (a club I was previously unaware of). With the party guests set up on Loch Insh - equipped with some of my Pike flies and necessary gear and 'some rules of thumb' to apply - it was off onto Loch Alvie. Now when you can forget about (or tune out) the noise of the A9 and the B1952 Alvie is a stunning loch which we immediately learnt has a healthy population of Perch - and some good ones too, the best we boated was probably 2lb.

Having spoken to some guys camped out on the shore who were ledgering dead baits it seemed all the Pike were deep in the water. Not surprised, it was bloody cold. Afloat it was more like a day in early May than early August  :roll
Despite our efforts the floating and intermediate approach wasn't yielding any chases from a Pike, let alone a take. So on with a superfast sinking line..... two strips and this happened:

A good hard take from a Pike that immediately took off and commenced an astonishing aerial display, I was too focused on getting my net ready and 'guide' my angler into playing/landing the fish  to try and get lots of photos... but it was a hard battle which was successfully concluded:

Bonnie fish which (despite taking a chunk out of one of my fingers.....) went back to fish another day. I put it at about 7.5lbs

With that our short day was done, one happy angler who had caught his first Perch and Pike in the UK. On catching up with the guests afloat on Loch Insh they dropped a Pike of 'substantial size' as they were coming close to landing it  :z10 It was hooked on one of my flies which was tied on a 6/0 barbless Partridge CS43 Ed Swier pike hook.... regardless of not landing that fish they'd had a good time.

Good fun for all. I'd like another crack at Alvie or Insh this year in pursuit of Pike, time allowing. Recommended.

:z16

Mike Barrio

Re: Loch Alvie - Esox Lucius
« Reply #1 on: 22/08/2017 at 10:18 »
Great stuff Hamish ...... nice fish :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 22/08/2017 at 13:20 »
IPAC took over the running of the water (advising the estate) a good few years ago from a chap that used to "guide" out of Fort William, the company being Highland Pike Tours. He is long gone but he did some sterling work with the estate to try and get them to realise that they had a tremendous asset in the way of Pike.

Cass and I fished Alvie a few times  off the bank when my mate had it, and had fish to mid 20lb. I also have had a few on lures, but have never fly fished it. There are some interesting underwater features that are magnets for the pike, as well as a 7 foot jerk bait rod and Abu multiplier of mine sitting on the bottom somewhere  :shock :X1 :X1 :X2

The loch contains some real surprises but I will let you investigate that yourselves ;) When I say real surprises, I mean real surprises!

PS Hamish, worth contacting the club as they sometimes get access to estates that normally go unfished and have had quite a few 30's. Quite a few of them fly fish for Pike.
PPS. Anyone can fish from the bank for a fee of £15..its only the boats that are reserved :)

James Laraway

« Reply #3 on: 22/08/2017 at 15:29 »
Hamish, let me know if you manage to contact IPAC, I tried a few times but no joy. I do like a cast for the pike, in fact it used to be the only thing I fished for !

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 22/08/2017 at 17:06 »
Hamish, let me know if you manage to contact IPAC, I tried a few times but no joy. I do like a cast for the pike, in fact it used to be the only thing I fished for !

Chap who runs the club is called Rab Hay if that's any help? Alvie Estate should have his details.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com