Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Derek Roxborough

vice jaws
« on: 19/08/2017 at 12:23 »
with a lot of fly tiers on here do you prefer your vice jaws hardened or soft?, my experience with hardened jaws gave me some Broken hooks and damaged bronze, I now use a 2nd hand Regent style vice with softish jaws and have had no problems with it but with this type of vice you can not over tighten and this was probably why I had the previous problems,  :z8 Derek Roxborough

Sandy Nelson

Re: vice jaws
« Reply #1 on: 19/08/2017 at 14:08 »
Hi Derek

I'd be in the opposite camp, tying loads of flies i find softer jaws, flare on me quite quickly, so i stopped buying cheaper vices and invested in one with hardened jaws.
Not liking lever action vices i have the adjustable screw type so i have complete control all the time of the pressure the hooks are under, every time i change hook size, its a bit more faff each time, but it gets to the point you don't notice.

:z18

Sandy

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 19/08/2017 at 20:50 »
seems reasonable Sandy, my regent style vice is over 12 years old I bought it 2nd hand it has no noticeable wear  on the jaws, and I can tie down to 20,s with it so it's not too bad, Derek Roxborough

Dave Robb

« Reply #3 on: 19/08/2017 at 23:21 »
Currently got an Anvil Apex vice which has hardened jaws.

In my opinion it's miles ahead of the various cheaper devices I have used in the past.

You also get much more expense vices, not really sure I would ever need them and the Anvil should see me through many years.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 21/08/2017 at 08:13 »
Currently got an Anvil Apex vice which has hardened jaws.

In my opinion it's miles ahead of the various cheaper devices I have used in the past.

You also get much more expense vices, not really sure I would ever need them and the Anvil should see me through many years.

My Anvil is about 12 years old and the jaws need replacing as they are pretty worn now. I do tie a lot of very big flies though, so I do clamp the hooks hard.

Still, lifetime warranty so the replacement will cost me postage..and that's it :)

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #5 on: 21/08/2017 at 12:04 »
I have no Idea how old mine is, I have had it about 12 years and it was 2nd hand when I got it but its still holding well from 20's up to 2/0 ss hooks for sea fishing, I suppose it will see me out, :cool: Derek Roxborough

Jeff Donovan

« Reply #6 on: 23/08/2017 at 00:57 »
Anvil Apex myself, not the "best" being produced but it holds a hook damn well. My large Seatrout lures etc are from a Regent copy, does what I need.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com