Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ythan Machar Pool
« on: 15/08/2017 at 12:30 »
Would like to get out for a cast on this stretch of water.  Would be great to get some pointer from anyone familiar with this piece of water. What are the best times? is it better with higher or lower tides?

Paul Rankine

Re: Ythan Machar Pool
« Reply #1 on: 29/08/2017 at 12:50 »
Contact Aberdeen and District Angling Association for permits and advice.

« Reply #2 on: 29/08/2017 at 12:58 »
Thanks for the advice, I will do.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #3 on: 29/08/2017 at 19:06 »
hi Robert

Underfoot, the Machar Pool can be very silty. Disconcerting when your wading boots disappear into the mud. Don't panic. It is safe enough. However I would recommend going at low tide first just to have a good look at the channels and where the mud/silt is, and also where the main river channel flows. It has been a few years now since I've been there, but here's some pointers from memory.

The parking is on the north bank. Arriving at the water edge, take a right and there is a wee bench. Most regulars fish around that part of the beat, probably because the wading is silty but predictable, and backcasts are clear. I was told that the lower end of the beat was useless, but since I did land a 9lb12oz ST from down there, i suggest you explore and find your own hotspots!  I never had much joy further upstream from the bench, but it's fishable, although there is one dodgy bit with signs advising caution with wading due to an underwater pipe. 

The main river channel runs straight down the middle, with a fairly clear drop-off (again, go at low tide to get the visuals); careful not too wade too far or you'll spook 'em. Or fall over the drop off...  I suspect a rising tide is worth a cast; at low tides, the Pool gets mostly cut off from the sea estuary, so they say that the ST follow the outgoing tide and vacate the Pool. But they used to say the earth was flat too, so don't listen to them (and if the ST don't go out with the tide, they are trapped...).

flies/tactics? Usual ST flees, i guess. My best ST from there came on a size 14 pearly invicta. But then I always used to fish with that flee, so it was a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

there's a map and beat summary on the ADAA pages at https://www.adaa.org.uk/ythan
and an active google map at https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=1gAvfmctMhyxPkFOhFKqHMg79PAA&ll=57.398521358830635%2C-2.1450949999999693&z=12

cheers
iain

Hamish Young

« Reply #4 on: 30/08/2017 at 07:04 »
...... but since I did land a 9lb12oz ST from down there....

:shock :o That's some fish Iain, my best from Ythan went 6lb and it headed for Norway. I can only imagine what a near 10lb fish would have been like  :z18

Iain Cameron

« Reply #5 on: 30/08/2017 at 08:13 »
Aye, Hamish, it swam about a fair bit before coming to the net... Fortunately the pool there is wide open so I hung on til the fish got bored and gave in.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #6 on: 30/08/2017 at 10:30 »
Cracking sea trout Iain.Fish of a lifetime.

As a matter of interest,did you notice the gender of the fish?
It seems to have a slightly elongated snout suggesting it had a kype and is therefore a cock fish?

Duncan

« Reply #7 on: 30/08/2017 at 12:29 »
Iain, thanks for all the information its a great help. That is a beautiful fish!!

Iain Cameron

« Reply #8 on: 30/08/2017 at 20:03 »
Robert - you're welcome. Hopefully you find a few fishes there.

Duncan - funnily enough, i was looking closely at the trout snout this morning, wondering about its sex after reading another thread. I didn't see the upturned kype typical of a cock, although yes, the snout was fairly long and the shoulders were just beginning to develop a wee bit of a hump. the fish was caught in 26 july, and not coloured up and giving obvious clues. I'm not much good at fish sex  :shock  but I could be persuaded that it was a cock.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com