Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Derek Roxborough

Loch Maree
« on: 06/08/2017 at 16:27 »
3 ex Loch Maree Gillies, out for some fishing yesterday, we ended the day seeing only about 7 or 8 fish browns mainly except one wee finnoch, the main topic was what it was like in the old days, old Gillies never die they only lose their flies, a good day but it was the company that made it, certainly not the fishing, the best trout would have just made a lb..we didn't even see any thing that would have given us a lift, :z8
Derek Roxborough

Hamish Young

Re: Loch Maree
« Reply #1 on: 06/08/2017 at 17:41 »
I pass Maree reasonably often but have never fished it. Although I was offered a Ghillies job there back in the '80s  myself :wink I grew up fishing Shiel, Eilt and Morar for Sea Trout & Salmon, many of my dapping flies made it to Maree and it has always been on my bucket list of waters to fish alongside Loch Hope. Maybe one day. Must remind Ray he promised me a day on the River Ewe this year.....

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #2 on: 06/08/2017 at 21:07 »
it's only a shadow of it's former days,one of the guys out  was a gillie in the 60's when the average for the season was 2,700 fish with none under 1lb counted, I gillied there in the late 80's when 800 fish was a good season, the fish farm went into Loch Ewe in 1985,and it was down hill from there, Derek Roxborough

Terry Coging

« Reply #3 on: 25/09/2017 at 09:30 »
We used to holiday in the Poolewe area in the 70's and there was absolutely no way that I could have afforded to fish Maree.
Three mates and myself will be up there May/June next year and Maree is on my list. May not catch much but I just want to get on that loch of mysteries.

Terry Coging

« Reply #4 on: 31/12/2017 at 18:32 »
BBC2 next Saturday 8.30 'Grand Tours of Scotland's Lochs' features Loch Maree.

Terry Coging

« Reply #5 on: 07/01/2018 at 09:40 »
it's only a shadow of it's former days,one of the guys out  was a gillie in the 60's when the average for the season was 2,700 fish with none under 1lb counted, I gillied there in the late 80's when 800 fish was a good season, the fish farm went into Loch Ewe in 1985,and it was down hill from there, Derek Roxborough

Last nights BBC2 programme dwelt some time on Loch Ewe but somehow missed the salmon farm. No mention of fishing when they were on Loch Maree either.  Did you spot your house during the Gairloch flyover Derek?

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #6 on: 07/01/2018 at 16:05 »
 this was  on here in November , Oh My God was my house on there? now the Aliens know where I live  :X1 Derek Roxborough

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com