Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Banana Rods have a massive following in Europe and are one of the top producers of carp and predator blanks.

They are now entering the fly market with some interesting options.

https://store.bananarods.com/en/21-fly-fishing

Hamish Young

Re: interesting range of custom built rods from France
« Reply #1 on: 06/07/2017 at 16:56 »
Ouch - but I like the idea of being able to spec your rod up from the options list. Nice idea  :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 06/07/2017 at 18:16 »
Plus one on the ouch!  :shock
I like the custom spec too but it would be nice to see more info about the line weights. As I have recently discovered, a #7 on a Spey rod means sweet FA. My 12' Greys is a #7 but it needs a 32g shooting head which puts it in the 8/9 category so more info on head weights etc might be nice before parting with £1300.
They do look good though :z16

Euan  :z1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 07/07/2017 at 08:08 »
Banana Rods burst onto the UK scene about 3 years ago but have a fair old following in Europe. They use some pretty funky technology to make the blanks, with autoclaves and proprietary processes that are "under wraps".

If you look at the fittings they use, they are all top notch, and a single fly rod may have £150 or reel seat, cork and guides alone.

The other unique thing about them is that when you order a rod, you are told who is building it for you. That person then contacts you to go through what you are wanting. Its a very personal touch from what is now a mainstream manufacturer in Europe.

If you look at the price of Bruce and Walkers these days, banana come out pretty good :)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 07/07/2017 at 08:09 »
Ouch -

...says the chap with a £1000 factory built rod without any customisations and a standard carp rod reel seat ;)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 07/07/2017 at 08:12 »
Plus one on the ouch!  :shock
I like the custom spec too but it would be nice to see more info about the line weights. As I have recently discovered, a #7 on a Spey rod means sweet FA. My 12' Greys is a #7 but it needs a 32g shooting head which puts it in the 8/9 category so more info on head weights etc might be nice before parting with £1300.
They do look good though :z16

Euan  :z1

They encourage " contact" when you order a rod. You get to speak to the builder and they will answer all you need to know :)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 07/07/2017 at 08:14 »
I like the idea of being able to spec your rod up from the options list. Nice idea  :z16

Have a look at these guys..they have it down to a fine art.

http://custombuiltrods.co.uk/

Travis Jones

« Reply #7 on: 13/10/2017 at 05:44 »
Have a look at these guys..they have it down to a fine art.

http://custombuiltrods.co.uk/

I'll be checking this out as well. Looks interesting.  :z16

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com