Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Some gentle banter with Fishtec
« on: 03/07/2017 at 22:01 »
Every now and again I exercise my right to buy some gear for testing purposes - at least that's what I tell SWMBO and so far I am getting away with it.

As part of an ongoing project/itch I need to scratch I recently purchased some ready made single handed shooting heads via Fishtecs online shop on Amazon.

On arrival the lines I had ordered ( a #6, a #7 and a #8 wt single handed shooting heads) were duly weighed to see what they came in at. It was plain that the #8wt was a wee bit chunky and the weight confirmed it... it was a double handed shooting head.

Now follows a slightly edited (only the order number and names have been removed) conversation with Fishtec customer service:

Me:
1 of Airflo NEW Single Hand Turbo Shooting Fishing Heads Floating 8 [ASIN: B00LAELIXI]
1 of Airflo NEW Single Hand Turbo Shooting Fishing Heads Floating 7 [ASIN: B00LAELI9C]
1 of Airflo NEW Single Hand Turbo Shooting Fishing Heads Floating 6 [ASIN: B00LAELH5W]

------------- Begin message -------------

Hi,
The #8 at head you've sent is for a double hander, not a single hander. It comes in at 33grams. The other two lines are good for weight, just the #8 that's the wrong one.
Can you send me the right line please?
Thanks!
Hamish

Fishtec:

1 of Airflo NEW Single Hand Turbo Shooting Fishing Heads Floating 8 [ASIN: B00LAELIXI]
1 of Airflo NEW Single Hand Turbo Shooting Fishing Heads Floating 7 [ASIN: B00LAELI9C]
1 of Airflo NEW Single Hand Turbo Shooting Fishing Heads Floating 6 [ASIN: B00LAELH5W]

------------- Begin message -------------

Thank you for your message,

I am sorry to hear this however we do not state that this line is for single or double handed rods? these are budget sell of lines that we vary slightly in grain weight and length. I would speculate that a replacement line we send may not be what you want either.

Kind regards

(insert Welsh name here)
Fishing Sales Advisor

Me:

Hi (insert Welsh name here),
Thank you for taking the time to research my query.
I'm afraid Fishtec do clearly state it's a single hand shooting head and it's there in the order details very clearly. I accept you are clearing these lines down, but they have been and still are advertised as Single Hand Shooting Heads. So you might wish to change that before anyone else makes a similar purchase. You might speculate a replacement line might not be what I am after, but as you got two out of three right last time... I'm game to see how you get on.

Yours aye,

Hamish

Now I have yet to get a reply to this message which is... disappointing. I will chase this up and although the lines are indeed super-cheap in their clearance of stock the facts are they are advertised as single handed shooting heads:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Airflo-Single-Shooting-Fishing-Floating/dp/B00LAELI9C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499115521&sr=8-1&keywords=airflo+turbo

I'll let you know how it pans out.

:z13

Rob Brownfield

Re: Some gentle banter with Fishtec
« Reply #1 on: 04/07/2017 at 08:09 »
I see your problem...Amazon.

Same heads on the Fishtec website are not listed as single handed heads.

https://www.fishtec.co.uk/buy.cfm/fly-lines/airflo-turbo-shooting-heads/40/yes/64258

Seems a common them with Fishtec/Amazon with items on Amazon not having full descriptions or descriptions at odds with the website description.

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 05/07/2017 at 08:57 »
Seems a common them with Fishtec/Amazon with items on Amazon not having full descriptions or descriptions at odds with the website description.
So it would seem, but that's Amazon and Fishtecs problem - not mine :wink
 I was fishing yesterday so didn't get this email until I got home:

Hi Hamish

Thank you for your polite and understanding reply.

My problem is that the other weights are indeed out and out Single handed lines where as the #8 there is a mixture of stock and from  y understanding the double hand out weigh the single hand but a considerable number. I am happy to issue a refund for this line ?

Kind regards (insert Welsh name here)

I have yet to send a reply, but I'm working on one. Strikes me that the reality is that mixture of stock is the issue and it wouldn't be worth their while trying to find a #8 single handed shooting head amongst the double handed lines for a measly £2.99

Ultimately I didn't get what I ordered from what was advertised, and that vexes me a tad :roll

I'll maybe ask them to give me a discount on something else I'm after..... what could possibly go wrong :?  :z7

H

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 06/07/2017 at 09:53 »
In the end I went for the £2.99 refund - simplest all round.

Now, where on Amazon might I find a #8wt Airflo Turbo single handed shooting head :? I know, the Fishtec page.....  :z4 :z7

H

James Laraway

« Reply #4 on: 07/07/2017 at 20:28 »
Finally I find someone who gets a bee in their bonnet more than me lol

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 08/07/2017 at 10:42 »
I ordered a small knot tool from Fishtec on Sunday and paid the extra for 1st class mail, it hadn't arrived on Thursday and I left for my trip yesterday morning without it :z3 ........ not the end of the world, but not happy either.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com