Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

Beauly adventures
« on: 02/07/2017 at 20:25 »
So Euan came up for a two day visit partly to help me forget my 46th birthday but also to do some fishing. Trouble is, work has kept me slightly busy of late so it was fortunate that some 'very much at the last minute' fishing came up on the Lower Beauly... how could we possibly say no :? :!

Let me get this out here right now. I had fun - that's for sure - but I had three Salmon drop off (two half-arsed takes/not good hook up and another was a 'kit failure') which did kind of piss me off. However, what makes up for it (a smidgen) is taking a mate to one of your favourite places and putting him into fish  :z16 So Euan had some sport with the silver tourists.... but I think the tale of the fish from the island is the story to tell.

The island lies in the top of the Falls beat just below Kilmorack dam. I go there frequently, usually to watch people who can't cast/fish/have no talent etc not catching the fish splashing all around them.
It's at the Ghillies discretion if you may/may not fish there but fortunately we were given the blessing to head over. A quick scull across to the island in the wee green boat is always exciting....

What makes it super exciting is knowing that the fish come straight to that spot at the bottom of the dam, and there are nearly always fish to be seen. The first cast is just so... rewarding.

Even better than that is when everything goes... nuts...

Now unfortunately I didn't have much chance to take pics as we were charging around the place watching one of the most aerial Salmon I have seen for - well since we were last on the Beauly - making Euan look older than he actually is. Suffice to say the christening of his 12' Greys was going well.

Now, dear reader, this is where this gets interesting. Well, it did for us. A net is kept on the island to allow anglers who are fortunate to hook something a chance of landing it. There really is only one good spot to land a fish, you need a net and the net was... well... it was smaller than I remembered. Reluctantly, after a hell of a battle the fish came to the net. I have netted a lot of Salmon over the years, it doesn't phase me too much but when it's your mates fish... well, it's different. The last thing you want is for something to go wrong.
It did. Horribly.
As the net took the weight of the fish and I was lifting it to the side to unhook the fish.... to my horror the handle detonated.  With one angry Salmon now free... or it would normally have been. Somehow, I'm not sure how, the handle went one way (attached to me) whilst the net itself sank like a stone. The fish stayed 'up' in the water whilst the net slipped (into the depths) before heading off into the pool at warp speed.  Euan looked calm. Well, I told him he did.
I managed to reach the (now  very much shorter) net before it disappeared from sight and we tried again.

Success  :z18

I think you might say that Euan was one happy bunny...

Successfully returned

The net :? We took it back to the hut. It was probably binned. Will we dine on this one for some time :? Hell yes  :X2 :z18

A special fish.

Tell you what though, after two days of hard fishing.... I need a holiday  :z13

H

Sandy Nelson

Re: Beauly adventures
« Reply #1 on: 02/07/2017 at 20:51 »
Awesome :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 02/07/2017 at 22:00 »
Great stuff :z16

Will Shaw

« Reply #3 on: 03/07/2017 at 12:23 »
Fantastic job H.  :z16

Lovely fish.

Euan Innes

« Reply #4 on: 03/07/2017 at 14:46 »
That whole trip was just epic Hamish.  :z4
The highs and lows of success, whisky, fish won and lost, crap nylon, broken nets and other watery issues just made the whole thing a cracking weekend. The drive home on Sunday was fraught with German cars that couldn't drive but I didn't care.

The Greys XF2S 12' #7 got a new line - an Airflo Rage compact in 450 grains and some new RIO Light Scandi tips and it performed like a dream. This is now my go to salmon rod as it responds a lot better than my Greys 14' #9 and is just as capable at getting a line out. Just a great piece of kit  :z16 You have to love the sound of a Vision Tank having the line ripped off it.
One salmon and two sea trout might not sound like a lot to some folks but there was a lot of hard work (and money!!) put into getting them so I am very happy.
July will be out because I have a new kitchen to fit so roll on August for my birthday and a repeat session. Only this time Hamish's fish will stay stuck! :z18
Great fun! :z13

Euan :z1

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 09/07/2017 at 19:22 »
Nice fish Euan  :z16
 :z18

Jim

Euan Innes

« Reply #6 on: 09/07/2017 at 21:40 »
Thanks Jim.
I have devoted a lot of time (work permitting) in to the pursuit of the Atlantic Salmon this year. The lack of water and fish have conspired to only let me out for four days so far so a 25% record for effort sits nicely with me.
Hamish and I are "opportunist" salmon anglers, going where the water and the fish and the best prices are rather than taking a week somewhere and facing expensive uncertainty. We have found that summer salmon cost less and are more "catchable" than the spring run. I really love August up north if the water is there.
Yes it was a lovely fish and one I am very proud of. The Seatrout the next day was even prettier.

Taken on a Black Shrimp.  :z12

Euan  :z1

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com