Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Re: The Scottish Game Fair
« Reply #15 on: 29/06/2017 at 12:42 »
I was considering going down on Sunday, pertly due to the talk about the revamp. But looking at the web site there don't seem to be that many fishing related exhibitor, then I saw the entry price £20 per adults and £5 for child between 5-15yrs. Doubt I'll be going.

Ashley Thomas

« Reply #16 on: 29/06/2017 at 12:54 »
I was going to head down for the sunday too but thought the same Robert. I've now read that a lot of the exhibitors are down there that haven't booked a link on the website, hence they aren't listed on the site (e.g. somers fishing tackle, angus angling & angling active).. not much use  :X1

Ash

« Reply #17 on: 29/06/2017 at 17:54 »
Ahh, not the best way to attract visitors. You'd think they'd want to let people know they had as many exhibitors as possible rather than making people book, and presumably pay, for a link on the website.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #18 on: 29/06/2017 at 21:07 »
Tying suff packed, bags packed, car packed and early(ish) night, up and away at 4.00am tomorrow  :cry

Dave Felce

« Reply #19 on: 30/06/2017 at 13:09 »
i think we'll be seeing you tomorrow, Allan  :z12 have to stop meeting like this tho'; folks will talk...  :z4

« Reply #20 on: 01/07/2017 at 18:25 »
Just been told by my better half that entry to the Royal Highland Show was £28 per adult and parking was an additional £8.  Maybe the game fair isn't such poor value.

Dave Felce

« Reply #21 on: 01/07/2017 at 19:38 »
well, i can report that the Scottish Game Fair today was a completely different event to the travesty it had developed into over the past decade. the last one we went to was like a rather shoddy garden fete

whoever is behind the organisation of this one deserves a huge pat on the back & i hope it was successful for them. we really enjoyed ourselves and didn't begrudge the entry fee at all.

it was well laid out and looked every inch a professional event. there were distinct rows of stands, generally rows had a common sort of a theme and there were some pretty big names (haarkila for instance)

fishermans row had a good feel to it and was attended by a good variety of trade & organizations. there were two areas for casting demos (so popular that it was difficult to get a seat in the stand) and the tackle providers had their own (easily accessible) casting areas

good quality food was available and there was a huge range of demonstrations from falconry to log-splitting. the cookery theatre was far more popular than the organizers had expected and could easily have been tripled in size

the traffic management was nothing short of amazing. we arrived at 1130 by which time it was pretty busy. but we drove straight in behind about a dozen vehicles all trundling nicely along at 5mph. no dramas. on the way out at 1700 we were expecting chaos, but no; we were straight out. managed by police & an events management company.

i suppose the best compliment i can pay is that we were there for over 5 hours and when we left we were still keen for more, but we'd had a full day... we will be back next year & i hope it gets even better

ps i picked up a signed copy of John Gierach's latest book. sadly the author wasn't around for a chat....

Hamish Young

« Reply #22 on: 02/07/2017 at 08:10 »
Nice to read a good news story about the Scottish Game Fair for a change :z16

I went fishing  :z13

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #23 on: 02/07/2017 at 13:29 »
I was down of Friday thought it was a good day out.

Just about enough fishing stalls. and if you are into strange looking rods we wonky handles then they looked to have a very good stall which i dodged just in case i come home with a with a pocket full of SL stuff.

Andrew Toft very good doing wizard loops with the trout rod and is good at talking through the casts without over complicating it.

Lots a quality  clothing stalls and some good deals on. Muckboot wellies for half price strange considering it was thick we mud.

Ah watched the loggers chapping away we the axes in the main ring while digging into a double stag burger from tomintoul venison now folk may moan an gripe at paying 7 quid for a burger but this was no average burger this was 2 huge perfectly cooked juicy burgers in a bap with cheese and onion and worth every penny  :z16 :z16

Later on a decent Coffee and Doughnut was 5 quid  again  folk will gripe about that but you will pay that on the high st coffee shop.

Ah wandered round the Clay pigeons with my sister who entered the 40 bird sporting with her pea shooter 20 bore and powder puff cartridges it is really well laid out some great shots.

Walking back from the Clays a noticed a few 200k Bentlys out for show  plastered in mud lol. Nice motors though.

Now the best part of the fair was of course the foodhall and some fine food indeed. Some tasty Gins  :z16  :z16 :z16. Kilted Fudge i had a chunck of the after 8 tasted braw  :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16.
Also a couple game pies from one of the butchers stalls £3.80 which i had for tea last night  :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16.

Only wee grip this year was the birds of pray on friday were a tad of a let down on last years. A lack of birds and no description tags beside the birds to say what they were  :z8 :z8

A good day out though and a fair on the up i would say  :z16 :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #24 on: 03/07/2017 at 08:15 »
So, from the fishing world, who was there?

Allan Liddle

« Reply #25 on: 03/07/2017 at 08:30 »
Can only add to the positive feedback from my experience there, a fantastic weekend for me and a lot of interest meaning i was busy over the three days.  Some great craic and weather wasn't too bad after Thursdays down pours.

Some plans already afoot to expand the Fishing Mall (Barrio Lines were mentioned a few times by visitors asking about them, hope you get a few enquiries Mike as i must have passed your details on loads of times, pity i'd no cards )

Looking forward to next year already.

In answer to Robs question there were about a dozen fishing stands between the row and the mall.  Many already committed to next year and already a few more asking to be there as well.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #26 on: 03/07/2017 at 08:40 »
Thanks Allan, good to hear it didn't rain all weekend :z16

Ivor Duffus

« Reply #27 on: 03/07/2017 at 09:07 »
Is tent sharing a option for Barrio lines one of the tents i was in where fly fishing and fly tying was had all sorts from Books to Blanks and finished Blanks.

May be a cheaper option  :z8 :z8.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #28 on: 03/07/2017 at 09:13 »
There are plenty of options thanks Ivor ......... maybe next year :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com