Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Terry Coging

Off to Ireland..
« on: 24/06/2017 at 20:04 »
Yep. Be back in Ireland next week.  A small group of us go to the Drowse fishery. This trip is a month later than usual so maybe the sea trout and grilse will be running.  Lough Melvin is a wonderful place to be.  It has everything....but you may catch nothing. We can usually get a few Gillaroo and Browns and sometimes Sonhegan over deeper water.  If it is calm and lifeless we will just troll for Salmon and Ferrox.....or go to the bar. Win, win situation  :z12

Dave Medlyn

Re: Off to Ireland..
« Reply #1 on: 25/06/2017 at 16:04 »
Have fun! You'll be just up the road from me. I live in south Sligo. There is some great mountain lake trout fishing to be had.
Cheers
Dave

Terry Coging

« Reply #2 on: 25/06/2017 at 20:20 »
Hi Dave. We are thinking of trying other Loughs that are not too far away - Loughs'  Gill and Clencare? Are they worth a try?
Or would you recommend somewhere else? Cheers, Terry

Dave Medlyn

« Reply #3 on: 25/06/2017 at 23:45 »
Hi
Glencar is good, lough arrow is a must if your over here, some decent trout in that one . Easkey lough is worth a visit, fishable from the bank along with a few smaller lakes very near by.  Give me a PM when your here, if I'm not workin' I could show you a couple of nice spots. Not huge fish, but great locations!!
Cheers
Dave

Terry Coging

« Reply #4 on: 29/06/2017 at 09:57 »
Thanks Dave.  It is proving difficult to get info about boat availability and permits for Clencar (no response) and  L Arrow. I am deaf so cannot use the phone. A few pointers about these venues would be much appreciated. We arrive on Saturday and there for a week. I will have and electric o/b.

Dave Medlyn

« Reply #5 on: 07/07/2017 at 06:34 »
Hi Terry,
Glencar lake is controlled by Sligo anglers. They are a strange bunch. I think they have a website, but I've never tried to contact them.  As for L. Arrow, there is a few boat opperators along the  lough,  some are listed online. I'm not really a boat angler, I fish mainly small mountain lakes from the shore and the local rivers. Maybe you could get someone to make a few calls for you. As far as I know there are 3 or 4 boat hire places on arrow.
Sorry I can't be anymore help.

Dave

Terry Coging

« Reply #6 on: 09/07/2017 at 10:57 »
Thanks again Dave.  We did manage to get a Sligo boat on Glencar . What a beautiful place! The Sligo man (Ricky Fabozzi) in charge of their boat was a pleasure to meet and very helpful.  Unfortunately the conditions were against us - sunny and flat calm  :cry We had a few wee brownies but no signs of a sea trout.  I have had about 20 days on Lough Melvin  over the years and never experienced such poor results.  No 'taking' fish in open water and just a few among the rocks. Lovely place to be though and the Guinness was good  :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com