Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ali Mcewan

One off holiday..
« on: 17/06/2017 at 21:48 »
So then folks, if you could treat yourself to a "fishing"  holiday for your 40th, where would you be heading?  One draw back, must have things for the family to do while I go fish 😂👍🏻

Hamish Young

Re: One off holiday..
« Reply #1 on: 18/06/2017 at 07:37 »
UK or abroad :?

Liam Stephen

« Reply #2 on: 18/06/2017 at 13:54 »
Just take a tent to Alford! Sorted......   :z4

:z18

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: 18/06/2017 at 16:47 »
Orkney , great for sightseeing and fishing  :z12 Derek Roxborough

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #4 on: 18/06/2017 at 21:35 »
Over seas as it's likely to be a one off.
I had originally thought Iceland, to fish the rivers for brownies, but at £1700 for 6, 8 hours sessions, sleeping in a shed with no power etc, I thought sod that idea. £300+ a day for fishing only 🤔😢
I'd have gone for a week if it had good accommodation, but a 8x5 shed 🙈😂

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 19/06/2017 at 07:55 »
Well, you might like this:
http://flyfishing-and-flytying.co.uk/articles/view/wading_with_carp/
I know I would have enjoyed that for my 40th - maybe for my 50th....  :z6 For the family there's all that Marseille has to offer plus loads of family 'stuff' all over the place. I would also probably make for Montpellier, partly for the history but mostly because it's the regional centre for Languedoc-Roussillon, a major wine producing area and I am a major consumer  :z18

Or maybe.....
Head for New York - whilst family enjoy themselves in the 'Big Apple' you head for the salt in pursuit of striped bass - and others.

Just ideas  :z16

H

Dave Felce

« Reply #6 on: 19/06/2017 at 09:08 »
gran canaria. make sure you've got at least an #8wt....

you'll get a nice tan out of the deal as well  :z12

get in touch with Marek Sidor
https://www.facebook.com/Fly-fishing-Gran-Canaria-541518496011655/

i'd quite fancy the camargue myself as it's a fantastic place; i tried to get in touch with Arnaud Pellegrin  as part of my research for a project i'm doing on the history of fly fishing for carp, but he seems to have disappeared. even a google search doesn't get you anywhere. the article does date from 11 years ago, tho'.... i thought the IGFA line class stuff was a bit worrying. if it's your first time after carp and your guide is kitting you out with "specially tested low BS line" you're going to lose a lot of fish  and leave a lot of flies in 'em....

Dave Felce

« Reply #7 on: 19/06/2017 at 09:33 »
how about this one? something really different. i got in touch with Oliver & he's a great guy. top quality kit, too  :wink
http://fishinginflorence.com/

« Reply #8 on: 19/06/2017 at 12:24 »
I was going to suggest Iceland as well, hadn't realised it was that expensive!  :shock

Canada could be an option, plenty of fishing to choose from.

Pete Winn

« Reply #9 on: 19/06/2017 at 13:56 »
A few years ok my dad and I went to Alaska for his 60th/ retirement. It really was a trip of a life time. We fished the Kanektok with Alaska West. They are really kid friendly and there's lots of nature, bears, glaciers etc you can do out of Anchorage.

Here's a vid of the place.

The fishing is amazing, lots of fish a day and varied types depending on when you go and how you fish.

Cheers

Pete

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #10 on: 19/06/2017 at 16:16 »
I was going to suggest Iceland as well, hadn't realised it was that expensive!  :shock

Canada could be an option, plenty of fishing to choose from.

Il continue to look into it, but the two company's I looked at are priced similar..

Jim Eddie

« Reply #11 on: 25/06/2017 at 17:14 »
Iceland does not have to be ridiculously expensive, see the link below

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/iceland/active-pursuits/fishing
 :z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com