Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Ali Mcewan

One off holiday..
« on: June 17, 2017, 21:48:03 PM »
So then folks, if you could treat yourself to a "fishing"  holiday for your 40th, where would you be heading?  One draw back, must have things for the family to do while I go fish 😂👍🏻

Hamish Young

Re: One off holiday..
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 07:37:43 AM »
UK or abroad :?
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience ;)

Liam Stephen

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 13:54:37 PM »
Just take a tent to Alford! Sorted......   :z4

:z18

Still searching for that  more Monstrous  Don Brownie!

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 16:47:36 PM »
Orkney , great for sightseeing and fishing  :z12 Derek Roxborough

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 21:35:21 PM »
Over seas as it's likely to be a one off.
I had originally thought Iceland, to fish the rivers for brownies, but at 1700 for 6, 8 hours sessions, sleeping in a shed with no power etc, I thought sod that idea. 300+ a day for fishing only 🤔😢
I'd have gone for a week if it had good accommodation, but a 8x5 shed 🙈😂

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 07:55:12 AM »
Well, you might like this:
http://flyfishing-and-flytying.co.uk/articles/view/wading_with_carp/
I know I would have enjoyed that for my 40th - maybe for my 50th....  :z6 For the family there's all that Marseille has to offer plus loads of family 'stuff' all over the place. I would also probably make for Montpellier, partly for the history but mostly because it's the regional centre for Languedoc-Roussillon, a major wine producing area and I am a major consumer  :z18

Or maybe.....
Head for New York - whilst family enjoy themselves in the 'Big Apple' you head for the salt in pursuit of striped bass - and others.

Just ideas  :z16

H
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience ;)

Dave Felce

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 09:08:04 AM »
gran canaria. make sure you've got at least an #8wt....

you'll get a nice tan out of the deal as well  :z12

get in touch with Marek Sidor
https://www.facebook.com/Fly-fishing-Gran-Canaria-541518496011655/

i'd quite fancy the camargue myself as it's a fantastic place; i tried to get in touch with Arnaud Pellegrin  as part of my research for a project i'm doing on the history of fly fishing for carp, but he seems to have disappeared. even a google search doesn't get you anywhere. the article does date from 11 years ago, tho'.... i thought the IGFA line class stuff was a bit worrying. if it's your first time after carp and your guide is kitting you out with "specially tested low BS line" you're going to lose a lot of fish  and leave a lot of flies in 'em....
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:30:00 AM by Dave Felce »
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Dave Felce

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 09:33:15 AM »
how about this one? something really different. i got in touch with Oliver & he's a great guy. top quality kit, too  :wink
http://fishinginflorence.com/
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 12:24:46 PM »
I was going to suggest Iceland as well, hadn't realised it was that expensive!  :shock

Canada could be an option, plenty of fishing to choose from.

Pete Winn

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 13:56:40 PM »
A few years ok my dad and I went to Alaska for his 60th/ retirement. It really was a trip of a life time. We fished the Kanektok with Alaska West. They are really kid friendly and there's lots of nature, bears, glaciers etc you can do out of Anchorage.

Here's a vid of the place.

The fishing is amazing, lots of fish a day and varied types depending on when you go and how you fish.

Cheers

Pete

Ali Mcewan

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 16:16:38 PM »
I was going to suggest Iceland as well, hadn't realised it was that expensive!  :shock

Canada could be an option, plenty of fishing to choose from.

Il continue to look into it, but the two company's I looked at are priced similar..

Jim Eddie

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 17:14:05 PM »
Iceland does not have to be ridiculously expensive, see the link below

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/iceland/active-pursuits/fishing
 :z18

Jim
"Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion."

Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum

All content on this website is copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk