Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Howard & Stuart

Lochter Report - Sunshine & Shades
« on: 30/05/2017 at 13:08 »
Down Lochter way this week it was more a case of what factor sun cream to use and where did I put my sunglasses? than which fly to use. The intense sunshine and hot conditions would not normally bode well for a successful fishing outing but those who persevered had some good sport. Although the air conditions were hot the water temp of the ponds were below average for this time of year, due to the previous cold weather, so the fish were still in feeding mode, not so much on surface food but rising and emerging flies.

Way top of the food list was buzzers which did consistently well throughout the week.

Kevin Neri, on a spot of paternal fishing leave, in a 3 hour session, on one of the hottest days managed 12 fish on both the buzzer and squirmy.

Graham Duthie had 2 outings during the week where he got 12 fish on the buzzer and later in the week on a more overcast day he tempted 11 fish on a small black of spider.

Keith & Karen Fraser made the most of their day landing 12 and 7 fish respectively on black buzzers and black lures. Other buzzer users were Mike Frost with 11 fish, Sandy Murdoch with 8 fish and Ewen Gillespie on holiday from Fife with 7 fish.

Liam Stephen picked one of the few perfect evenings when cloud cover came in he was rewarded with 26 fish on ceramic nymphs and the vaguely mysterious J Adie fly.

Jim Adie is one of our well-known local anglers who ‘cemented’ his reputation as a successful competition angler. Nothing is ‘cast in stone’ with Jim so it would be interesting to know what type of fly this is. Anyhow it’s nice to see it being handed over to the younger generation to use. With the weather for the coming week being forecast as slightly cooler, we will hopefully see more top of the water action.

Tight Lines,

SP 30/5/17

Liam Stephen

Re: Lochter Report - Sunshine & Shades New
« Reply #1 on: 30/05/2017 at 17:48 »
I could tell you Stuart but he'd probably kill me! It's a crazy looking thing that's for sure. It also shouldn't have really been working so well but the fish had other ideas!

:z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com